Equally Obnoxious Hockey Trash Talk Thread, eh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jtkratzer said:
What size trailer are you towing? My factory bumper hitch is rated to 10k.

Right now, nothing. But interested in getting something in the 28-26 foot range. I figure a decent truck I could use to pull would be useful for other things as well.

Wow some good games tonight, but not the results I wanted. The Wings, Hawks, and Devils all lost me a good deal of money.

And seriously, a one game suspension for Neal??? Ridiculous.

MeatyPortion said:
I hope he gets AIDS

Me too, actually. I went to the same high school as him and knew his brother... Guy was a ******.

The last semester I was there, Stamkos was a freshman. Kid was actually a total nerd, but I'm glad to see how well he's done.

Me too, actually. I went to the same high school as him and knew his brother... Guy was a ******.

The last semester I was there, Stamkos was a freshman. Kid was actually a total nerd, but I'm glad to see how well he's done.

Torres has the appearance of someone whose IQ is second to that of a brick.

Can't believe it's only 4 games for Asham. He didn't hit the face first, but that's only because he's legally an inch above the classification of a hobbit.

And only one game for Neal who had two hearings?

Hopefully the Flyers take care of business tonight and they are effectively suspensions for the rest of the season.

EDIT: apparently Shanny bought Neal's BS excuse that he left his feet to lessen the force of the impact because he couldn't avoid Cooter. What a joke. He avoided his own teammate and could have simply turned into the offensive zone, you know, where the puck was during his entire sequence or events.

Shanahan is officially a turd. These suspensions, just like the regular season, are idiotic and completely inconsistent. There's no rhyme or reason to the criteria used to punish anyone. Backstrom with a cross check to the head gets him one game. Asham got 3. Neal is a repeat offender and got one game for two separate incidents. Nothing on Weber?

This really is absurd. This isn't about a single series, it's the entire season and the piss poor job the disciplinarian is doing.

Florida must be taking notes from the Flyers...coming back from an 0-3 hole in Game 3 by dominating special teams, 3 for 3 on the power play and winning 4-3.

Weber has been a good little boy since his warning though. Apparently with all of the suspensions handed out during the season, players STILL feel the urge to go after each other's heads. It's almost like a real old time hockey game out there. Except I don't remember there being so many cheap shots when I was younger.

Wings had moments of WTF last night. But, they have been playing pretty well and Rinne has been incredible. Let's hope the Pred don't have a massive let down after they beat the Wings and get pounded by the next opponent... ;)

Shanahan is officially a turd. These suspensions, just like the regular season, are idiotic and completely inconsistent. There's no rhyme or reason to the criteria used to punish anyone. Backstrom with a cross check to the head gets him one game. Asham got 3. Neal is a repeat offender and got one game for two separate incidents. Nothing on Weber?

This really is absurd. This isn't about a single series, it's the entire season and the piss poor job the disciplinarian is doing.

While I'd say that he (Shanahan) has a difficult job and it is impossible to always "get it right", the whole thing seems to be spiraling out of control. The suspensions and fines given certainly haven't seemed to reduce the issue...just look at the playoffs so far.

I've come to the opinion (formed over time) that the fines and suspensions are way too short. If a team lost a player for 10 games it starts to have a significant impact, but 1 or 2 (or even 4) doesn't. Or maybe the teams bench should have to play short if someone is suspended...now THAT would have a real impact on perceptions of these on a team.

I hope I don't bring up yet another round of Matt Cooke bashing on this, but his 10 game suspension (including the playoffs) was enough to have an effect...and might have even cost Pittsburgh the series with Tampa. Cooke (this season) has been the model citizen.

While I'd say that he (Shanahan) has a difficult job and it is impossible to always "get it right", the whole thing seems to be spiraling out of control. The suspensions and fines given certainly haven't seemed to reduce the issue...just look at the playoffs so far.

I've come to the opinion (formed over time) that the fines and suspensions are way too short. If a team lost a player for 10 games it starts to have a significant impact, but 1 or 2 (or even 4) doesn't. Or maybe the teams bench should have to play short if someone is suspended...now THAT would have a real impact on perceptions of these on a team.

I hope I don't bring up yet another round of Matt Cooke bashing on this, but his 10 game suspension (including the playoffs) was enough to have an effect...and might have even cost Pittsburgh the series with Tampa. Cooke (this season) has been the model citizen.

I agree. A couple of games are a slap on the wrist. The league has to balance the fans desire to see the players playing, and providing an effective deterrent.

I think Shanny has been doing pretty good considering, but there has been enough inconsistency to cause players to ignore the rules. IF the penalty was extreme enough, then maybe we could get back to some hard, legal hits, and of course fighting should be allowed. Just get rid of the dirty and cheap hits that could actually injure a player.

IMO, the problem comes from suspensions being based on outcome and not intent.

It's kind of ridiculous, I mean, if someone 'tries' to take someone's head off but misses ... ah, no big deal ... no one got hurt.

It's a dangerous line to be walking, they need to make a statement to the players that the borderline and dangerous hits are suspendable, no matter the outcome.

Until then, it's not going to change. Look at Matt Cooke, he hasn't taken a major penalty all year, no suspensions, fines and he was the worst in the league.

The league needs to make an example out of Torres and let the players know that these types of plays will not be tolerated. There needs to be some sort of respect amongst the players as well.

I don't want to see the physical aspect of the game diminished, and it's obviously ratcheted up even more in the playoffs, but at the same time the league can't keep losing star players for extended periods of times.

It's one thing to key on a guy and put clean, legal checks on a guy when he has the puck or when you're finishing a check. But hitting a guy who is away from the play and the puck when he isn't looking is just flat out dangerous and stupid.

Barnzy02 said:
IMO, the problem comes from suspensions being based on outcome and not intent.

It's kind of ridiculous, I mean, if someone 'tries' to take someone's head off but misses ... ah, no big deal ... no one got hurt.

It's a dangerous line to be walking, they need to make a statement to the players that the borderline and dangerous hits are suspendable, no matter the outcome.

Until then, it's not going to change. Look at Matt Cooke, he hasn't taken a major penalty all year, no suspensions, fines and he was the worst in the league.

The league needs to make an example out of Torres and let the players know that these types of plays will not be tolerated. There needs to be some sort of respect amongst the players as well.

I don't want to see the physical aspect of the game diminished, and it's obviously ratcheted up even more in the playoffs, but at the same time the league can't keep losing star players for extended periods of times.

It's one thing to key on a guy and put clean, legal checks on a guy when he has the puck or when you're finishing a check. But hitting a guy who is away from the play and the puck when he isn't looking is just flat out dangerous and stupid.

I couldn't agree more about outcome vs. intent. But I think we are all prey to that. The torres hit was bad, but not vicious, not from behind, and not that late. If Hossa hadn't been stretchered off, it wouldn't have warranted conversation. Yes, he left his feet, but some of that is momentum. Yes it was also late, but only a second or 2 after he passed. Once again, if Hossa wasn't injured on the play, I think somebody on Chicago would have pounded Torres and that would have been that.

I'm not defending Torrres that much, but I think we're being hypocritical talking about how big the suspension should be while saying it should be intent and not results.

I couldn't agree more about outcome vs. intent. But I think we are all prey to that. The torres hit was bad, but not vicious, not from behind, and not that late. If Hossa hadn't been stretchered off, it wouldn't have warranted conversation. Yes, he left his feet, but some of that is momentum. Yes it was also late, but only a second or 2 after he passed. Once again, if Hossa wasn't injured on the play, I think somebody on Chicago would have pounded Torres and that would have been that.

I'm not defending Torrres that much, but I think we're being hypocritical talking about how big the suspension should be while saying it should be intent and not results.

To me the problem with Torres, is two fold.

1. He is a constant repeat offender

2. Hossa did not have the puck/near the puck, Torres left his feet, and i haven't seen it enough times to comment on how much/if there was head contact but:

As Shanahan explained in Alex Ovechkin's suspension for charging Zbynek Michalek:

"The moment Ovechkin launches himself into the air prior to the hit he becomes responsible for any contact to the head."

They really should throw the book at the guy, he's repeatedly made stupid plays that risk serious injury to the opposing player.

Torres is the reason I hated Vancouver last year (Torres must really not like Chicago....)

Hope he gets the Matt Cooke treatment from the league and his own team. I really want Phoenix to do well, but if they condone **** like that, I can't root for them.

Barnzy02 said:
To me the problem with Torres, is two fold.

1. He is a constant repeat offender

2. Hossa did not have the puck/near the puck, Torres left his feet, and i haven't seen it enough times to comment on how much/if there was head contact but:

As Shanahan explained in Alex Ovechkin's suspension for charging Zbynek Michalek:

"The moment Ovechkin launches himself into the air prior to the hit he becomes responsible for any contact to the head."

They really should throw the book at the guy, he's repeatedly made stupid plays that risk serious injury to the opposing player.

So how does Shanny make a different argument and buy Neal's bullsh*t about bracing for contact when he launched at Cooter? That's my point about Shanny being a turd.

Similar hits, away from the play...we'll see what the punishment is for Torres.

I saw this in google search and read "18 April" and "no suspension" and almost punched my wall, then I noticed it was from last year. https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1...urceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=raffi+torres+*******

So how does Shanny make a different argument and buy Neal's bullsh*t about braving for contact when he launched at Cooter? That's my point about Shanny being a turd.

Similar hits, away from the play...we'll see what the punishment is for Torres.

Because Shanny doesn't like Philadelphia. :cross:

I made my summer Shandy with lemonade, but in honor of the playoff series I should have made it look blood red. :mug:

Flyers give away orange shirts for every home Playoff game.

Here's the one for tonight :p

AqtU17PCEAAvxJo.jpg

All the suspensions mean nothing when Weber didn't get suspended for slamming Zetterberg's head into the boards. It should have zero to do whether Zetterberg got hurt or not. After a game ended, Weber tried to maliciously injure a player, cracking his helmet!

Asham made a ****ty high crosscheck, but even Shanahan said it only hit the guys shoulder pads, never his face, and he gets 4 games for intent.

Until they develop more severe suspensions, and get consistent with them then there is no reason to suspend anyone; let someone on the other team in the next match kick the **** out of the offender.

Jeremy Roenick (former Blackhawk) tweeted this

@Jeremy_Roenick: 10 yrs ago that hit would have been a great legal hit. In todays game of new rules and concussions its a suspension!! Hope Hossa is ok

I guess that's still the NHL I still hope to see. It's unbelievable how sissified the officials and league have become.

Torres should be suspended, simply cuz this is the current NHL. I still don't think he deserves much, if anything though.

Flyers give away orange shirts for every home Playoff game.

Here's the one for tonight :p

AqtU17PCEAAvxJo.jpg

Saw this last night and loved it. I'll post a few more in a minute from my phone.

All the suspensions mean nothing when Weber didn't get suspended for slamming Zetterberg's head into the boards. It should have zero to do whether Zetterberg got hurt or not. After a game ended, Weber tried to maliciously injure a player, cracking his helmet!

Asham made a ****ty high crosscheck, but even Shanahan said it only hit the guys shoulder pads, never his face, and he gets 4 games for intent.

Until they develop more severe suspensions, and get consistent with them then there is no reason to suspend anyone; let someone on the other team in the next match kick the **** out of the offender.

That's my point. I'm tired of seeing similar, almost identical plays, get different punishment. Not talking specific plays, players, or teams, just in general.

However, I do want to point out that all this talk about suspensions and inconsisent punishment is no different, in anyway, than when I posted those three boarding videos a week or two ago.

It seems to me we haven't been looking at the obvious correlation with these fines and suspensions. Instead of looking at the incident, it is merely a highschool popularity contest that determines the severity of the punishment. Shanahan is too close to the game in my opinion to be making these calls. He has no experience as a referee. He has never been responsible for dealing out consequences to star players and sticking to his decisions. I loved Shanny as a player, and agree that he is an ambassador for the sport, but referee he is not.

ao125 said:
This had me rolling. :p

Agree best post for the playoffs so far.

Nucks to try and regain some dignity tonight. Farken hell all the Van haters here(in there numbers) together couldn't of guessed a 0-3 deficit first round.

Pretty glad the pens are in the rifle range for there game at the moment instead.

D.Sedin back tonight ? Will it make a difference ? Let's hopes so. This is the worst offence the nucks have had all year tempted to not wake up for the local time 4.00am game.

But I still will : ).
: P

Agree best post for the playoffs so far.

Nucks to try and regain some dignity tonight. Farken hell all the Van haters here(in there numbers) together couldn't of guessed a 0-3 deficit first round.

Pretty glad the pens are in the rifle range for there game at the moment instead.

D.Sedin back tonight ? Will it make a difference ? Let's hopes so. This is the worst offence the nucks have had all year tempted to not wake up for the local time 4.00am game.

But I still will : ).
: P

Kind of surprised to see Schneider getting another start, in the elimination game. It will be interesting to see how that works out when I wake up tomorrow morning.

Back