American IPA Stone Ruination Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the great extract version of this recipe. I made a batch of this a couple months ago, and it came out wonderfully. I used WLP001 (1L starter), and believe I added about 1lb too much DME during the boil (I blame the beer I was drinking at the time...), but it came out really nicely. I bought some Ruination to compare it to, mine was darker color and a bit smoother than Ruination. My only problem is that I'm almost out! I'll be giving it another shot using Pacman yeast later this week.

Thanks for the great extract version of this recipe. I made a batch of this a couple months ago, and it came out wonderfully. I used WLP001 (1L starter), and believe I added about 1lb too much DME during the boil (I blame the beer I was drinking at the time...), but it came out really nicely. I bought some Ruination to compare it to, mine was darker color and a bit smoother than Ruination. My only problem is that I'm almost out! I'll be giving it another shot using Pacman yeast later this week.

I hear pacman has high attenuation and flocculation. I am really interested to see how it would take down ruination. The beer is relatively big. It should be very clean, relatively free of esters even when fermenting high.

Happy brewing.

Pacman's an excellent yeast for this brew; I use it for my spring and summer brews, since it is still fairly clean even at higher temperatures. Of course, it's best if you can keep it low, but it won't punish you as much as some if you can't.

petrostar said:
I brewed this again yesterday and am excited. I ended up with 12 gallons of Wort @ 1.071OG. I used wlp002 English ale yeast last time and wasn't able to control my fermentation temps. I am fermenting in a 65 degree environment this time and using wlp001 California ale yeast. Also did a 45 minute flame out hop addition instead of immediately chilling. I am very excited to see how this turns out and will let you all know also. Btw, in case it wasn't said before, this recipe is really really good even with the previous mistakes I made.

I'll quote myself cause I'm awesome! Wlp001 was good, but to be honest I think the wlp002 turned out better for me.

Made the Ruination-beast today, 1.068 OG. Was aiming for 1.070 but got a bit lower since I overshot my efficiency. Other than that, I can tell right now this is going to be a good one. Nice "proper" color for an IPA and amazing smell. I hope it dries out though, tried to mash low. We ll see. My next step, Dry Hop: Centennial.

Thanks for all the info guys and as always, Happy Brewing!

Hi,
I did the extract version of the recipe but the fermentation seems to be stuck.
OG:1072 FG:1018 after 11 days in the fermenter at 22°Celsius
I used 2 packets of safale us-05 rehydrated.
My mistake ,I think, is I didn't strain the hops pellets before transferring the wort to my fermenter.
Is that why my FG is too high?
What can I do now to go few points under?

For an extract batch, I'd call 1.018 pretty decent. I often struggled to break 1.020 with extract brews. I'd leave well-enough alone and bottle when ready; a few points isn't worth doing something that might damage things.

brewed this up on Thursday (extract). looks fantastic going into the bucket. substituted Chinook for the magnum bittering addition. pitched with 1 pack of us-05 and the bucket is rocking along quite nicely. i will be dry hopping per recipe with 2 oz Centennial. :D

brewed this up on Thursday (extract). looks fantastic going into the bucket. substituted Chinook for the magnum bittering addition. pitched with 1 pack of us-05 and the bucket is rocking along quite nicely. i will be dry hopping per recipe with 2 oz Centennial. :D

Right on Straycat!

Just had the first one from my batch yesterday and it was awesome. Easily the best IPA I've done and ranks up there with the best beers I've done, and this is after only 2 weeks in the bottle. I'm gonna wait another couple weeks to try another.

I ended up dry-hopping with about 3 ounces of a mix of Centennial and Cascade. I didn't have quite 2 of the Centennial and wanted to get rid of those cascades anyway as they'd been around a while. Turned out great.

Mine has been taking FOREVER to carb up in the bottles. I think I'm at the 5 week mark now so I stuck another in the fridge.

Mine has been taking FOREVER to carb up in the bottles. I think I'm at the 5 week mark now so I stuck another in the fridge.

The one I had was somewhat carbonated but could use a little more. Obviously, trying it at 2 weeks, I didn't expect full carbing.

I used to get the carb problem every now and then so what I do now is condition at room temp 68-72 and then move to the "celler" (basement) for further conditioning. I feel that most my homebrews peak and level at about the 6 week mark but are fully drinkable even after 3 weeks. I hope this helps.

Happy brewing.

I've always conditioned at the same temp and never had to wait this long. My last porter was good to go at 2 weeks! I don't mind being patient, it's just weird that this one is taking longer than most

Actually, it's almost been 2 months in the bottle now! Going to try it this afternoon

Actually, it's almost been 2 months in the bottle now! Going to try it this afternoon

Its probably worth the wait with the bigger brews but let us know how it has improved. Perhaps I too give it some extra time in the bottle if you notice much improvement.

Bottled my extract version yesterday and it tasted great. It's not quite Ruination but it's close. My version is maltier and darker in color but the bitterness and hop profile is very close. We'll see how it tastes after it has been bottle conditioned.

Thanks for all the help.

Just did my first of two FG readings on the extract version. If it is done fermenting then I am just .09 away from the Stone Ruination ABV.

It is not dry hopped yet but it is absolutely delicious. I could drink this right out of the FV as it is now.

Just did my first of two FG readings on the extract version. If it is done fermenting then I am just .09 away from the Stone Ruination ABV.

It is not dry hopped yet but it is absolutely delicious. I could drink this right out of the FV as it is now.

0.09%? thats pretty damn accurate. Mine is still in primary but cant wait to rack and dry hop the mother out of it.

Good luck with your clone and Happy Brewing!

Totally newb style, but since i'm a huge ruination fan i had to try this recipe out 4 days ago. I'm happy any time my apartment smells like centennials. ANYWAY, my OG only got a reading of 1.055, but she's been bubbling nicely so i hope i can still get a tasty (yet sadly lower in abv) beer out of this!

Totally newb style, but since i'm a huge ruination fan i had to try this recipe out 4 days ago. I'm happy any time my apartment smells like centennials. ANYWAY, my OG only got a reading of 1.055, but she's been bubbling nicely so i hope i can still get a tasty (yet sadly lower in abv) beer out of this!

Its not always about the ABV mate, so dont worry about that. However, in a brew this hoppy you need that extra kick to balance out the hops. That said it may still come out just fine.

Good luck with your brew and Happy Brewing.

This beer turned out fantastic - a friend who also brews said it was one of the tastiest beers he's ever had!

Yooper, i know it's a lot to ask, but do you havd any kind of suggestion for making a similar beer, but almost like a session version? I love ruination, but would like a lower abv one that lets me drink multiple pints without falling over :)

This beer turned out fantastic - a friend who also brews said it was one of the tastiest beers he's ever had!

Yooper, i know it's a lot to ask, but do you havd any kind of suggestion for making a similar beer, but almost like a session version? I love ruination, but would like a lower abv one that lets me drink multiple pints without falling over :)

I'm always working on a good session recipe, but I haven't really found one that can give me all the flavor without losing the great balance.

Racking it tomorrow!

Considering a 3 week secondary. Wont add Centennials till the last 10 days though. Cant wait to bottle, condition and SAMPLE!

Happy brewing everybody!

Racked just a couple hours ago. I got Centennials straight in the face the minute I opened the fermenter. Tried some brew and can agree with the poster above, I could drink a glass right out the primary! ( I actually did try a a bit from the hydro sample, amazing stuff).

The brew is very hoppy already and can only get even hoppier with my 1 - 1.5 oz addition of Centennials for 10 days.

I want to drink this one fresh, fresh as can be. Will give it 2-4 weeks in the bottle at room temp, then refrigerate a 6 pack and sample as we go!

Happy brewing to you all and let me know how your clone came out!

PS: Damn this is a good one...

For some odd reason this took forever to carb, but now it is amazing! Hurray for patience!

I decided to make a version of this today (extract). I just noticed that there is probably 3-4 inches of crap settled at the bottom of the carboy. Should I have strained this out when transfering from the brew pot to the carboy? I also already added around 2 gallons of water (lost close to 2 gal from 5 gal boil). Should I rack off of this and top of with more water? This is the first thing I've brewed on my own, so any help is appriciated!
Thanks,
Wickerman

I decided to make a version of this today (extract). I just noticed that there is probably 3-4 inches of crap settled at the bottom of the carboy. Should I have strained this out when transfering from the brew pot to the carboy? I also already added around 2 gallons of water (lost close to 2 gal from 5 gal boil). Should I rack off of this and top of with more water? This is the first thing I've brewed on my own, so any help is appriciated!
Thanks,
Wickerman

No, it'll be fine. That stuff will all compact down a lot in the end, so don't worry about it!

Back