Controlling fermentation temp in winter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImperialStout

Reaction score
Want to control ale fermentation temp at about 70F in winter. Fermenting in house is OK but temp fluctuates from 65 to 80. Have fridge and controller.

Question: What have you used to raise temp in fridge from about 40F to about 70F?

You can go as simple or as complex as you like. Many guys set up dual temperature controls with both a cooling and heating source. I went the simple route. I built a small box that fits in my fermentation chamber and rigged it up with a light bulb outlet. I then put a 40 watt bulb in the socket, cover the whole thing with tin foil so no light gets out and place it in the chamber. I'm currently fermenting at 75 degrees in my garage, which is between 30-50 degrees right now. Downside to my method is that your fermentation chamber cooling will kick on occasionally to keep the temperature down and the light bulb is always drawing electricity. I experimented with different bulb wattage and found the 40 watt was right for my chamber. Kept is warm enough, but not so warm that the cooler was running constantly. If the chamber is larger you may need a larger bulb.

I did the same thing as rigglet. However, i was using a chest freezer. worked pretty good. I know some use a small heater in place of the light.

I use a seedling heat mat and a temperature controller meant for controlling them. Heat mat for 20 and controller for 40 on amazon or at local hydro shop. I just wrap the matt around the carboy with a towel, works great and less fire risk than a light bulb...

I use the fermwrap heater on my carboy and it works great! Best and most accurate method I have ever used. I fermented an ale at 68 degrees in my 40 degree garage. I do leave the carboy inside a freezer with the door closed. It's the same freezer I use during the summer time for fermentation. You could also use a couple of these on a conical fermentor if needed.

IT was the best $30 present my wife ever bought. http://morebeer.com/view_product/16674/102282/The_FermWrap_Heater

I bought a stainless steel dip tube which sits in the middle of my carboy. Here's a link to the picture.

http://www.gbrewing.com/2009/11/02/carboy-thermowell-love-temperature-probe/

Thanks drob. Just bought that ceramic heater from Petco, $26 on sale. Fit right into the light bulb socket set up in the fridge. Will finish wiring it up tomorrow and test run before making the next brew.

for winter brewing I use a large tub with water in it. Place in the fermenter and use a fish tank heater to keep the water at the correct temperature.

I made a thermostat temp controller to control the fish tank heater as the heater is not made for the temps of fermentation it is made for tropical fish tanks.

Back