Kenmore 8.8 keezer, original thermostat drifts 10 degrees?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeBrewFoSho

Reaction score
So I went ahead and messed with the stock thermostat the other day on my new kenmore 8.8cuft freezer I'm converting. I've done this a couple of times before with refrigerators to turn them into fermenting fridges. The problem is this freezer seems to drift between 35' and 45'. There is only a couple of 12pks of soda in it right now. Have other people seent his kind of a range??? If it was like 5 degrees I wouldn't care but 10 seems like a lot. Any ideas? Is it because there isn't enough stuff in it? I haven't even put the wood collar on it yet so it's still pretty stock. Also I'm using the same fridge thermometers they use in hospital refrigerators to monitor the temps of Vaccines. Let's just say it's pretty dead nuts on.

would say you should try putting more mass inside the freeezr - some buckets of water, a few full kegs, something to help temps stay nominal.

the other thing about a fermentation chamber is you want to be able to measure temp of fermentation, not ambient within the freezer - that way if your beer is at 64 the freezer may be 4 degrees cooler to keep it there. Messing with the freezer settings is what I did when I was serving out of one.

would say you should try putting more mass inside the freeezr - some buckets of water, a few full kegs, something to help temps stay nominal.

the other thing about a fermentation chamber is you want to be able to measure temp of fermentation, not ambient within the freezer - that way if your beer is at 64 the freezer may be 4 degrees cooler to keep it there. Messing with the freezer settings is what I did when I was serving out of one.

Yeah I'm hoping that it will stabilize with more stuff in it . Hopefully some kegs will be in it by tomorrow. I guess as long as it doesn't freeze it won't be the end of the world. And just to be clear this is just for serving beer, not fermenting. I was just using that as an example. Thanks!

Just as an update, I think it was actually the placement of the thermometer that was messing with me. I ended up propping it up on a case of beer and the temps are always 34-38. Good enough for me and no need to buy a controller.

Back