How I brew this: Pure Barley Malt extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andre

Reaction score
I went to local store and saw 5 kg of pure barley malt extract powder. There is no brewing store in my country, so I just want to make beer with bread yeast (Fermipan). Please tell me if I could make some beer from those.

So please guide me.

If it truly is malt extract powder, you can make beer. Bread yeast isn't a great option, but it will work and many people have had good success with it. Its biggest problem is consistency from batch to batch.

The most important other ingredient you'll need are hops. If you don't have access to a brew store, try a well-stocked garden supply store. Some sell hop plants. If you can't find hops, you'll need to locate another bittering herb (wormwood, heather, mugwort, etc). Do research on the beverage "gruit" which is unhopped beer to get more details.

I would start with 3.5 kg of powder and boil that in 10 L of water for an hour. As soon as the mixture begins to boil, add your first small amount of herbs (no idea how much to add as I don't know your herb selection, but we can probably help more after you select your herbs). add another small amount after 40 minutes. If you have used an herb that smells pretty good, add one more small amount 5 minutes before the boil is complete.

From then, add another 10L pre boiled (then chilled) water to a carboy or bucket. Ensure the mixture is less than 75 degrees fareheit (only conversion I can't do in my head) and throw in your yeast. Store it in a cool dark place and wait for 4 weeks (with some way for co2 to escape). There's your beer!

Can't say how good it will be because there are too many variables, but it will be beer.

One huge thing to keep in mind is that cleanliness and sanitation are essential. Anything that comes in contact with the liquid after the boil must be sanitized including the fermentation bucket. Since you say you don't have a brew store, you probably have no way to purchase a no-rinse sanitizer. You'll need it, so try this. Make a no-rinse sanitizer by mixing 15mL bleach, 15mL white vinegar, and a pinch of salt in 20L of water. Make it in your fermentor, let it sit for half an hour and soak any utensils you will use. Then dump it out and pour in your wort (unfermented beer) and yeast.

andre said:
If there is no hops, how will it taste?

If by no hops, you mean no hops and no other herbs to balance the sweetness, it won't be good.

But, if you look into "gruit" you will find many beer recipes that don't use hops. Instead they use other bittering herbs and those that make it really like it.

So, if you dont have access to hops, and you want to research on gruit, this experiment will probably turn out very tasty. If, however, you don't want to research other herbs and just are interested in using the malt powder, it probably won't turn out well.

Let us know what you decide.

Hi andre.

Some of the other bittering gruits that we have in Bali are :
sambiroto (Andrographis paniculata Nees) - a bitter herb,weed that grows common in unattended fields.
intaran (Azadirachta indica) - the bitter leaf of the neem tree commonly grows along coastal areas.
bitter gourd (Momordica charantia) - use the fruit or the leaf.

Note: I found when using the green leaves of all the above, it left a bit of a chlorophyll
taste. Perhaps try curing them first.

PS where did you find the barley malt extract and how much does it cost? I had been making my extracts from scratch - millet, tapioca starch, etc...

PPS both STORM and STARK breweries in Bali bottle condition their beers. You could
build up a culture from the yeast sediment.

cheers,
jin

http://bali-living.web44.net/1_43_HOME-BREWING-IN-BALI-a-diversion-.html

Back