Strange First Brew ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffreyice1

Reaction score
Ok this is what I have so far.

I cooked Crushed Crystal English in the bag untill boil and let steep for 5 min. then Added Muntons Lit 3.3 lbs and Premium German malt extract 3.52 lbs and brought to a boil. Added hops (.80 oz of fuggles and .80 oz Northern Brew) Boiled for 1 hour. Added 1/4 oz Mt hood hop pellets and continued boil for 15 min. Then added the rest of the Mt hood hop pellets 3/4 oz and boiled for 5 min. (PS this was in 3 Gallons of water). Then Added this to two Gallons of Ice to cool down. Had to remove some because it became to cool to fast and just added water for the removal of ICE. Now added Nottingham Yeast (11g) after warming them up in water to the mixture (Pitched) the temp of the Wort was 60 F. The OG I think was 1.038 (This is because I have never read a Gravity reading before. It shows 1.0000 then is in 10 increments so I assume that the 10 reading after the 1.0000 is 1.0100?? After Ferminting for 2.8 Days (Bubbles good every 4 seconds (Big bubbles)) the Fermintation slowed down to about 70 seconds. I transfered to secondary Carboy and took a reading for gravity.

This is where it is strange. I now have a reading of 1.0120!!! CAN THIS BE CORRECT? THIS SOON? how is this possable? Any help would be appreciated!

Iceman

In many ales, the bulk of the fermentation occurs quickly, sometimes within hours. It's certainly plausible that your beer has almost fully attenuated after 3 days. RDWHAHB!

Next time, don't bring your grains to a boil. Steep them at 150-160 degrees F. Hotter temperatures may bring out tannins (raw, bitter flavors).

You're readings seem correct and are about what I'd expect to see given your recipe. Your first reading might be a tad low, but not because you read your hydrometer wrong. Be sure to stir thoroughly before taking a sample when brewing with extract. It likes to settle on the bottom of the pot.

That brings up a good question! Do I take the reading from the Pot or after adding it to cool it down? (now 5 Gal instead of 3) What is the standard?

Iceman

Take the OG reading after adding your top-up water and cooling the wort to 60 degrees F. Hydrometers are calibrated for temperature - usually at 60.

Yes, I can see now how adding water (after taking out the ice and not stirring the brew) would cause an invalid reading on the OG.

Do you, or anyone have the formula to calculate what the OG should be based on incrediants? This would be helpfull to estimate adding of water or removal of ICE at that time.

Thanks again.

Iceman

Latest posts

Back