Austin Homebrew Supply Greenbelt v. WLP001 - The experiment begins...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Curious to hear what you think of the comparison. My experience is that I recently bumped up the Lake Walk Pale Ale recipe to an IPA and used Greenbelt yeast.

I am not happy with the beer at all, getting that oniony flavor you sometimes get with Summit (used Simcoe/Amarillo)

Would like to hear more feedback but I think I'm sticking with my trusty 001

any difference in the way fermentation looks? One more vigorous than the other?

Both have been eerily similar - as in same bubble pace going through the blow off tubes.

They're both settled down now after ~6 days....

Since you already have my address, I suppose I'll test the results for you :) Maybe you'll be able to persuade me to shop AHS. :mug:

:D

I vote dry-hop. You should brew your beer as you normally would brew it. If this yeast highlights hoppy characteristics, I want to use it for an IPA, and IPAs are usually dry hopped. If there's no difference in a dry-hopped beer, I'd keep using 1056/001 which is much easier to get almost anywhere other than Austin, TX.

I say break it down into smaller 2.5 gallon batches. dry hop 2.5 gallons of each one and do a 4 beer comparison

I don't think it's legal to not dry hop a APA or IPA

I agree, which is exactly why this brew should be dry hopped. It's a yeast made specifically for hoppy beers. I read hoppy beers and think APA and IPA, and I'm not likely going to brew one and not dry hop it.

So DRY HOP!!

I agree with this.

But in the interest of science i would have to vote for 4 batches - 2 dry hopped, 2 not dry hopped.

Too late for that - but maybe in the future I'll do a five gallon batch and split into five 1-gallon jugs: 001/dry, 001/nodry, greenbelt/dry, greenbelt/nodry, and a fifth gallon with 05 or something....

I dreamt last night that I tasted the hydro samples and could tell a huge difference :drunk:

Too late for that - but maybe in the future I'll do a five gallon batch and split into five 1-gallon jugs: 001/dry, 001/nodry, greenbelt/dry, greenbelt/nodry, and a fifth gallon with 05 or something....

I dreamt last night that I tasted the hydro samples and could tell a huge difference :drunk:

were the fermentors empty when you got up?

So I dry hopped today....

Both batches finished at 1.012, which I think is good news to cut down on another possible variable that could lead to a different taste.

Color of both samples was identical (not that I would've expected any difference).

I dry hopped each with 0.5 oz Cascade and 0.5 oz Summit.

Prior to refrigerating the hydro samples I took multiple whifs. The greenbelt sample definitely had more aroma - not a huge difference, but noticeable.

I refrigerated each sample for a couple of hours and took a taste.

The WLP001 sample had more of an upfront bitterness; the Greenbelt sample had a smoother bitterness upfront, with more of a finish bitterness, but again in a smoother way than WLP001. No real noticeable difference in "flavor" other than the bitterness difference I described.

I'll bottle next Sunday, and then about a month later have a party with some blind testing :mug:

The WLP001 sample had more of an upfront bitterness; the Greenbelt sample had a smoother bitterness upfront, with more of a finish bitterness, but again in a smoother way than WLP001. No real noticeable difference in "flavor" other than the bitterness difference I described.

Excellent. Thanks for the update. Tonight I pulled a sample of an India Brown Ale I made two weeks ago using Greenbelt. I've made this recipe with S-05 before and I too noticed a smoother bitterness with Greenbelt. Of course this is going off of memory. This yeast is much more flocculant than S-05, but that wasn't much of a surprise to me. So far I am pleased with this strain. Time will tell.

Look forward to your results.

Excellent. Thanks for the update. Tonight I pulled a sample of an India Brown Ale I made two weeks ago using Greenbelt. I've made this recipe with S-05 before and I too noticed a smoother bitterness with Greenbelt. Of course this is going off of memory. This yeast is much more flocculant than S-05, but that wasn't much of a surprise to me. So far I am pleased with this strain. Time will tell.

Look forward to your results.

Thanks for that input - it helps to see more results!

fyi, also that I washed the greenbelt, and holy **** did I get a huge yield (way more than I've got from washing WLP001 or Wyeast1056).

Thanks for that input - it helps to see more results!

fyi, also that I washed the greenbelt, and holy **** did I get a huge yield (way more than I've got from washing WLP001 or Wyeast1056).

Awesome. You better believe I'm washing some of this. I have many more recipes to try this yeast on.

WLP001 on the left from a batch awhile ago - Greenbelt from this batch on the right - same gravities, same process :drunk:

WLP001_Greenbelt.jpg

Forrest - so far both my initial impressions and someone else in this thread have reported the same thing - a smoother bitterness....

Is that what your testers found?

I'm bottling both batches tomorrow!

:mug:

Sorry no strain number. I guess we should have assigned it one. We were only required to come up with a name.

Forrest

As soon as I saw that yeast I knew I wanted to make an APA or IPA with it. The only problem was I was leary about liquid yeast being shipped long distances, with temperature fluctuations and such. Guess I'll just order some and see how it turns out.

I'll also probably use this yeast to try out pitching directly onto a yeast cake. Maybe I'll make my first recipe a 1.050 APA and make my second a 1.090 IIPA and see how that goes.

As soon as I saw that yeast I knew I wanted to make an APA or IPA with it. The only problem was I was leary about liquid yeast being shipped long distances, with temperature fluctuations and such. Guess I'll just order some and see how it turns out.

I'll also probably use this yeast to try out pitching directly onto a yeast cake. Maybe I'll make my first recipe a 1.050 APA and make my second a 1.090 IIPA and see how that goes.

shipping worries? good reason to make a starter. Fill'er up with good, new yeasties

Update....

Had some blind tastings tonight with me and my brother....

Here's the samples.

WLP001_v_greenbelt.jpg

We both agreed that the greenbelt had more "bitterness" than the WLP001 sample. The WLP001 sample has a little more "complexity" - don't really know how to describe it....

Greenbelt seems to be a little "cleaner" - meaning, more crisp.

The aroma seemed similar between the two.

Overall - I was surprised how "different" the two beers were, considering they were derived from the same wort and what I thought would be similar yeasts.

WLP001 = more mouthfeel, less bitterness (relative)
Greenbelt = crisper/dryer, more bitterness (relative)

Either way - both beers were great, and I look forward to making an IPA out of greenbelt since it seems to enhance bitterness and make for a perceived crispness.

Those beers look nice, I could not get my Amber with Greenbelt to drop clear, even after a week long cold crash + gelatin. Did you filter or just give it time?

I did some more blind tastings with friends over New Years - and the results were the same.....which I find interesting....

Also left a bottle of each with Soperbrew on HBT, so I hope he weighs in here eventually...

I just kegged up a batch last night with which I used Greenbelt. I had similar results in the amount of yeast at the bottom of the fermenter. It was unbelievable! I have never had so large a kreusen or so active a fermentation! only time I've ever needed a blow off tube, when using buckets. I washed this yeast.

I haven't really tasted it but I brewed Denny's Rye P. A. with it. I know its not on the recommended list, but it was what I had. From the reviews it sounds like this should be a good yeast for IPA's.

Back