I need a National League team to "adopt"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_bird

10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I want to start watching someone other than the Sox (I know, Sox-nation - excommunicate me now, get it over with). I prefer the NL game, but I simply don't know jack about the teams. So, I want to "adopt" a team to follow - second in my heart to the Sox, always.

But, I don't know who.

Criteria:

1. Mid-to-small market; no goddamn NY Mets, I like rooting for the (at least qausi-)underdog

2. At least an outside chance to be decent - playoffs within reach, even if not champtionship caliber. Not going to expend energy rooting for a team that wins 60 games.

3. Good fan bases in established markets, with some history, is preferred.

4. Likeable players, preferably some good, young, improving players and a decent farm squad; some hope for the future.

Who fits that criteria? I'm leaning towards the Brewers for no reason other than their name, and I've always liked the idea of a team being back in DC. Wife was born in San Diego, so she'd appeciate me rooting for the Padres.

Convince me why I should root for *your* NL team...

The Brewers baby!!! Young, three of the infielders are under 24. Have a chance at the wild card if not the division. Still have a great farm system, and come on, what are you, a home BREWER. They should be the team that everyone here likes.

sause said:
The Brewers baby!!! Young, three of the infielders are under 24. Have a chance at the wild card if not the division. Still have a great farm system, and come on, what are you, a home BREWER. They should be the team that everyone here likes.

LOL...typical Brewers fan! Don't we say that every stinking year, and then lose 12 straight right off the bat? :D

I'm not drinking the kool-aid this year...no way. Put this on record, the Brewers will be worse than last year. Mark it down.

Padres. Then you can travel to San Diego to see a game, hang out at the beach. EDIT - then I see you mention the padres. I have A.D.D., your post was too long for me to pay attention. :)

The logical choice for a Sox fan is to eternally root for the Cubs. We've carried that torch, it's in our blood. It is sooo New England to always realize that there are things to find despair in. The Cubs are this. They capture my despair, and I love them, also.

Fiery Sword said:
The logical choice for a Sox fan is to eternally root for the Cubs. We've carried that torch, it's in our blood. It is sooo New England to always realize that there are things to find despair in. The Cubs are this. They capture my despair, and I love them, also.

I'd have to agree with that.

the_bird said:
I want to start watching someone other than the Sox (I know, Sox-nation - excommunicate me now, get it over with). I prefer the NL game, but I simply don't know jack about the teams. So, I want to "adopt" a team to follow - second in my heart to the Sox, always.

But, I don't know who.

Criteria:

1. Mid-to-small market; no goddamn NY Mets, I like rooting for the (at least qausi-)underdog

2. At least an outside chance to be decent - playoffs within reach, even if not champtionship caliber. Not going to expend energy rooting for a team that wins 60 games.

3. Good fan bases in established markets, with some history, is preferred.

4. Likeable players, preferably some good, young, improving players and a decent farm squad; some hope for the future.

Who fits that criteria? I'm leaning towards the Brewers for no reason other than their name, and I've always liked the idea of a team being back in DC. Wife was born in San Diego, so she'd appeciate me rooting for the Padres.

Convince me why I should root for *your* NL team...

I've gotta put in a good word for the Astros. Solid team that's been in an out of the playoffs for the last decade or so. They've got a lot of up and coming young players, and a pretty good shot this year if their pitching staff works out. They have no history of any really obnoxious or badly behaved players, and there is a lot of loyalty, I believe. They have been very exciting to watch each of the last three years, since they get white hot and go on insane tears as the season winds down. And this city is completely in love with them. :D :ban:

Dude said:
LOL...typical Brewers fan! Don't we say that every stinking year, and then lose 12 straight right off the bat? :D

I'm not drinking the kool-aid this year...no way. Put this on record, the Brewers will be worse than last year. Mark it down.

yeah but if they win 12 staight it's free burgers at webs

Bah, You know my answer, go for the Birds bird! :D You kicked our a$$es in the Series. Give back a little of the love. :rockin:

Ize

Ize said:
Bah, You know my answer, go for the Birds bird! :D You kicked our a$$es in the Series. Give back a little of the love. :rockin:

Ize

They were so PATHETIC in that series, though, I lost a lot of respect for the franchise... I mean, I don't care what the Sox had done to the Yanks, you don't go into the GD World Series and play dead to the Boston Red Sox... :D

the_bird said:
They were so PATHETIC in that series, though, I lost a lot of respect for the franchise... I mean, I don't care what the Sox had done to the Yanks, you don't go into the GD World Series and play dead to the Boston Red Sox... :D

And as much as I would love to argue, that's EXACTLY what happened.

So why not? C'mon. We have something that resembles beer. :D

Ize

Fiery Sword said:
torch, is the Ego going to Land in Houston this year or what? :D

I can't decide if I want him to or not. I'd say it's still 50/50, what with Pettite in NY again. Still, I think the Astros are pretty much planning on not getting him, and forging ahead with the young'uns. Clemens is amazing, but I'm tired of being strung along.

First of all, if you "adopt" an NL team thay have to be the redheaded stepchild(no pun intended) to the Sox in your baseball family. Now that we've set that part straight,
I'll give you 2 choices....

The Braves: Typically a playoff contender, still East Coast, and if you start routing for them now it'll be an easy transition to see Andruw Jones playing centerfield in Fenway in 2008 after Theo breaks the bank for him and trades Coco....

The Dodgers: 3 words, Red Sox West. Billy Mueller is even working in their front office at this point...

Go Sox!!!:mug:

cnbudz said:
The Braves: Typically a playoff contender, still East Coast, and if you start routing for them now it'll be an easy transition to see Andruw Jones playing centerfield in Fenway in 2008 after Theo breaks the bank for him and trades Coco....

Pfff... next to the cubs, perpetual wannabes. (and trust me, I'm married to a cub fan)

C'mon bird, we won the Series with the least amount of wins in the regular season AND kicked the mets a$$es, that's gotta count for SOMETHING in Boston. :D

Ize

Ize said:
C'mon bird, we won the Series with the least amount of wins in the regular season AND kicked the mets a$$es, that's gotta count for SOMETHING in Boston. :D Ize

Having the least amount of wins is nothing to brag about:cross: And, as for beating the Mets in the playoffs, I'm pretty sure that's the same thing as puberty for an NL team, a right of passage:mug:

cnbudz said:

Their time has passed. After getting into the playoffs, what, fifteen seasons in a row, and winning a grand total of ONE World Series, the sun finally set on that dynasty last year. ;)

With the Cubs, you get consistency. You get hope. You get denial. You get a huge range of emotions AND a stadium that's comparable to Fenway in terms of history and crappiness.

Join the Blue side. It's wonderful.

The Dodgers are an interesting candidate, they are Red Sox West. But it's LA - kind of tough to root for an adopted team whose (non-hardcore) fans don't even root that hard for them. I get the impression that it's just not cool to loudly browbeat the visiting team's first base coach's monther for 9 innings in LA. I'd want fans that breathe fire.....

:off: GOOD PLACE TO PLUG ONE MORE SPOT REMAINING IN FANTASY BASEBALL!!!!

I still say the Cubbies. It just makes sense.

( Edit: ) Plus you get to watch your "new" team on TV all the time. I think everyone and their brother gets WGN, right?

Dude said:

( Edit: ) Plus you get to watch your "new" team on TV all the time. I think everyone and their brother gets WGN, right?

Eh... I don't root AGAINST Chicago (or St. Louis, for that matter), but I really have a hard time getting behind another big-market team...

St. Louis is out because I can't be rooting for the champions; that's just lame, I'm not a bandwagoner.

I'm leaning towards the Brew Crew...

olllllo said:
I get the feeling for clarity sake, Dude wants you off his team. :D

That isn't it. I just don't want him coming back in a few years and regretting it. The Brewers are small market, they will NEVER be able to compete with the big boys. I've suffered through too many years of misguided hope.

I still feel I have to be a Brewers fan, and I watch, support and root for them, but the last time the Brewers sniffed the playoffs was 1982. Come on. The only "good" moments I can think of since then, I can count on one hand.

1. Easter Sunday 1987
2. Mollie's hitting streak
3. Nieves no-no (and the greatest no-no saving diving catch I've ever seen, period)
4. Uh......(okay a mini one) Seeing Prince Fielder and Rickie Weeks hit homers in the same game in their rookie years was pretty cool.
5. Uh..........

Once the Brewers groom a decent player, they can't afford to keep him. Prince, Weeks, Gwynn, they'll all be gone in a few years. We are the classic farm team.

The new owner has tripled the payrole of the team since he has taken over Dude. Sure we might lose one or two of them that means we still have 3 or 4 good young players. Now look at detroit(comma) they built the team without a huge name. We just signed Hall to the biggest contract for a field player in franchise history. Jenkins got that right foot down and he's swinging the bat better, prince still can hit homers, Hardey is an avergage hitter and a god glove man. Good solid base. I know Jenkin's is going to get beat up here.

Dude said:

Just the WORD Cubbies is annoying!

I like the Cards and Brewers in the NL Central.

I go

AL Central: White Sox
AL East: Yankees (although the BIL is pushing me over to the Red Sox)
AL West: A's

NL Central: Cards (or anyone else but the Cubs)
NL East: Phillies
NL West: Dodgers

sause said:
Hardy is an avergage hitter and a god glove man.

What's Hardy's status this year? His Uncle is a friend of mine here but I don't see him much anymore (or JJ because of it). Our SWMBO's got into a cat fight about a year ago. "nuff said why I don't hang with JJ's uncle much now. :rolleyes:

He had a freak injury last year(comma) fully heathly this year. He could be a double making machine.

Oh(comma) and by the way I love the word comma(comma) I'm going to spell out the word comma everytime I'm suppose to use the symbol. The voices are taking over.:D

Bird,

You should watch the Nationals...no wait.... no one can watch the Nats thanks to Peter Angelos. Not even people in VA and they are the closest team to us.

sause said:
The new owner has tripled the payrole of the team since he has taken over Dude. Sure we might lose one or two of them that means we still have 3 or 4 good young players. Now look at detroit(comma) they built the team without a huge name. We just signed Hall to the biggest contract for a field player in franchise history. Jenkins got that right foot down and he's swinging the bat better, prince still can hit homers, Hardey is an avergage hitter and a god glove man. Good solid base. I know Jenkin's is going to get beat up here.

Sause, you are such a homer!!!!!

Jenkins? Come on.....he'll carry the team for a month and then disappear for the rest of the year. Streakiest hitter I've ever seen. Not worth the trouble. Even if he does look just like Brett Favre. :D

I agree we have some pretty sweet young guys. Give us a decent 3rd baseman and it is a good infield.

Pitching is going to suck--again. I'm sorry, but until the management signs a true ace, we'll be middle of the pack in a division ripe for the picking.

I just don't see much of an improvement over last year. Sorry to be a downer.

sause said:
He had a freak injury last year(comma) fully heathly this year. He could be a double making machine.

Yea but that's two now. He hasn't made a full season yet in the bigs... He is an amazing SS if he can stop breaking. And his hitting was starting to get better.

desertBrew said:
Our SWMBO's got into a cat fight about a year ago.

Whoa, like pulling hair and stuff? Did you video that ****? :D

So the_bird, what is the decision here?

I saw the Brew Crew got slapped around pretty good by the Cubbies again today. Our ace got rocked and the main bullpen guy (Capellan) is struggling.

You wouldn't be able to tell I'm a Brewers fan by the way I ***** about them, because I am SO sick of losing. I don't know why I don't just adopt another team...the Brewers will never win in my lifetime. I guess I love listening to Ueck way too much to quit.

So Comcast is giving us 2 more sports channels, Mid-Atlantic Sports Network 1 & 2. Good news is they're suppose to have 160 Nats games this season. Bad news is they'll also have 160 Orioles games which I could care less about except when they play the Yankees.

Dude said:
Whoa, like pulling hair and stuff? Did you video that ****? :D

So the_bird, what is the decision here?

I saw the Brew Crew got slapped around pretty good by the Cubbies again today. Our ace got rocked and the main bullpen guy (Capellan) is struggling.

You wouldn't be able to tell I'm a Brewers fan by the way I ***** about them, because I am SO sick of losing. I don't know why I don't just adopt another team...the Brewers will never win in my lifetime. I guess I love listening to Ueck way too much to quit.

It's down to the BrewCrew and the Padres. I'm going to give it a month or so of split-allegiance and then make a final decision. I always like Cecil Fielder (what did he weight when he retired? 400lbs? 450?), so I like rooting for his son. But, if I ever get rich and can fly the country willy-nilly, would I rather fly into San Diego for a game or Milwaukee?

the_bird said:
It's down to the BrewCrew and the Padres. I'm going to give it a month or so of split-allegiance and then make a final decision. I always like Cecil Fielder (what did he weight when he retired? 400lbs? 450?), so I like rooting for his son. But, if I ever get rich and can fly the country willy-nilly, would I rather fly into San Diego for a game or Milwaukee?

Milwaukee does have a roof now.

And it is just a great freaking city.

That said, the Brewers will suck. ;)

Back