Cider tastes like champagne

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cracked1

Reaction score
Just bottled my first batch of cider. I tried the juice + pectic enzyme + yeast + time = hard cider. I wanted a sweeter, not so dry cider so I bottled at 1.010 FG and I will be doing the stove top pasteurization method. Just as with my first couple beers, I've been tasting/sampling at different stages so I can know what to look for in the future. At bottling this cider tasted like an undercarbed, semi-dry champagne. No real apple taste at all. Would this be "normal" (whatever that is...)? Will it get a little more "appley" as it conditions?

Thanks all!

Yes. Most un-backsweetened young ciders taste like dry white wine.

Depending on the yeast you used, you should get some "apple" back with age.

Try experimenting with your next batch by bottling at a higher fg, maybe 1.014, and see if that seems more 'appley'. Also, the juice/cider you use makes a difference. Perhaps experiment with a different variety/brand the next time.

I know its hard to do, but make them now for next year and they will be a whole different animal

A few things I do.
I add between one to two cans of apple juice concentrate to back sweeten and boost the apple flavor. (I cold crash, and keg carb, then bottle that way). But it should also work if your heat pasteurizing.
Also, as noted above, time and patience is required. I find the apple flavor starts coming out at around month 4-5, and it is ready to drink at month 7 on for a dry apple cider with around 9% ABV and above. Lower ABV's will be ready sooner.

Back