First PM. Wort on Ceiling.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayC

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Did my first PM batch earlier this week. Used a 2 gallon cooler. Instead of making a manifold, I figured a grain bag would be fine. Wort wasn't pouring off very quickly, so I lifted the grain bag partially out of the cooler. Once wort was flowing, I DROPPED it back into the cooler. I was up way too late cleaning up after the whole fiasco. Two days later SWMBO points out the splatter on the kitchen celing to me, and asks if that's from me making beer. Damn.

Broke my hydrometer, too.

I think I'll do it again next weekend.

Way to go Jay! Tell 'yer SWMBO that's your method to develop a "house flavor". Haha...get it, it's a play on words :)

after 5 or so extract brews i've switched to PM's and have two under my belt. Messier by far, and alot more fun. Can't wait to bottle the first one next week. I've got the double bucket method going for me....cuz i'm broke as a joke. Here i thought brewing my own beer would save me some money. There's always something new I need to get.

Third PM. "Daddy's Little Pumpkin Beer" - to have a picture of my 1 year old daughter with a pumpkin on the label, if I can pull that off. Recipe forthcoming, once I check SG's and such.

No more wort on the ceiling. I've not been able to do this without getting wort on the floor, however. This time was just me being stupid. Got up extra early to brew without being interrupted. In my sleepiness I forgot to close the hose clamp coming off of my 2 gallon MLT before pooring the hot liquor in. Damn.

I did the same thing, but with wine.

I was dumping a 5 gal box of Borolo must into my primary bucket, when the bag fell out of the box into my bucket.

Wine must all over the kitchen.

SWMBO just laughed at me, but took the rest of the next day to clean off the stains......

Something will always happen that we could have done better in brewing but as we get into each new year we become more routine and know what not to do so we make less mistakes. We make up rules for ourselves to keep us from getting into trouble. I use a check sheet which helps me not to forget the Whirlfloc or to make sure I have everything I need before I start brewing. I have spare buckets in case I have a problem with sparging. The worst thing you can do is get hurt because you were trying to get by without the proper equipment. I guess I am saying to have a good plan with a second plan to fall back on.

Back