go into secondary a day early??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Movinfr8

Reaction score
I have gotten off work a couple of hours early and after six days am thinking about transfering my pale ale to secondary, but wondering if there will be any problem if fermentation is not completely finished.

Movinfr8 said:
I have gotten off work a couple of hours early and after six days am thinking about transfering my pale ale to secondary, but wondering if there will be any problem if fermentation is not completely finished.

What is the OG and gravity now? It can cause the fementation to hault or stop..since you will be remving it off the yeast..Why do you want to transfer early? I always say keep it on the yeast for 10 to 14 days for most beers.

I would wait until gravity is stable

Jay

Movinfr8 said:

Leave it in the primary until fermentation is completed. The secondary is really only a clearing step.

Of course, your hydrometer is your friend. Two readings at the same gravity reading on at least two seperate days tell you it is ready. Relax.....

if i'm ever in doubt, i leave it.

two identical hydrometer readings at least a day apart will remove all doubt, however.

Hadn't been testing gravity, but if an extra few days on the yeast won't hurt, I'll wait. I just realised that I'd have some time to transfer it this morn. and time will be tight the next few days. I'll let it sit a while longer,
thanks folks

No problems. Transfer at will, its probably done fermenting. If it's not, you'll just rouse the yeast and get them going again in the secondary. No big deal to let it sit awhile either.

IowaStateFan said:
No problems. Transfer at will, its probably done fermenting. If it's not, you'll just rouse the yeast and get them going again in the secondary. No big deal to let it sit awhile either.

I actually tend to agree with this statement. However, I would much rather rack a few days "late" than a few days early, and I consider six days as a few days early. I put quotation marks around "late" back there, because I do not consider 14 days to be too long in a primary.

TL

get thee a hydrometer. the airlock bubbling or not bubbling doesn't mean squat. a hydro is the only true way to know your beer is done fermenting.

Latest posts

Back