I think I fudged up my bucket...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

half_whit

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I recently did a chocolate peppermint porter. I already have a thread discussing revisions to the recipe, but what I did had a lot of chocolate malt and some peppermint extract in the boil (fail).

My concern is that my brew bucket hasn't been the same since. I always clean my buckets twice (probably unnecessarily). I had been using sanitiser for one and comet for the other. I recently switched over to just using a clorox solution. No matter how much I clean the bucket, it still smells like I just emptied that brew from the bucket. That fresh fermented smell. It also stained a little bit.

It was only the 3rd brew in that bucket. I don't think it got scratched up, but maybe the comet was too abrasive. I'm worried about infections and imparting off flavors. I just racked an IPA from it, so I guess we'll see how that turns out. What do you guys think?

That fresh fermented smell is in my buckets also. It's not a problem. I'd stop using bleach and cleansers though.

It's a bad idea to use abrasive cleaners on plastic food grade containers.

Truth. What I got said it was "non-abrasive," but depending on how well it dissolves I feel like that was a relative term. That's why I switched out, hopefully not too late

All you need is some Oxyclean Free (or the unscented store brand stuff) or PBW to clean your fermenters. Fill with hot water, add the oxy/pbw and soak for a few hours, then wipe clean with a rag and rinse well. Extends the life of your plastic fermenters.

All you need is some Oxyclean Free (or the unscented store brand stuff) or PBW to clean your fermenters. Fill with hot water, add the oxy/pbw and soak for a few hours, then wipe clean with a rag and rinse well. Extends the life of your plastic fermenters.

::moment of silence for Billy::

Back