Let's say, hypothetically of course, someone added baking powder to the mash.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klnosaj

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know this guy who wants to know what would happen if, hypothetically speaking, of course, since what kind of idiot would ever actually do this? one were to add 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder to a mash instead of the 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda I....I mean this hypothetical person...meant to add?

I think you'll probably be fine. The ingredients on my can of baking powder are cornstarch, sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), sodium aluminum sulfate, monocalcium phosphate.

I would think the cornstarch got converted in the mash, so shouldn't cause a haze. Baking power actually has baking soda. Sulfate, phosphate, and calcium (not sure what monocalcium is) are used in brewing:
http://www.beer-brewing.com/beer-brewing/brewing_water/minerals_brewing_water.htm
Not sure about the aluminum though. It's probably in small enough amounts that it won't be detectable.

I forgot to add, I doubt the baking powder had the same effect on the pH as the baking soda would have. Either way, it's pretty much guess work, until you actually measure, so I doubt it made a dramatic difference.

What kind of beer are you making? I've found baking soda to be mostly unnecessary in brewing (I admit, there probably are a few rare cases where it is). I have extremely soft water and assumed I needed baking soda for a CDA I was making. I added 3/8 tsp to my mash and ended up with a pH of 5.6! That may have been the last time I use baking soda for brewing. I haven't done anything dark since, but from now on, I'll probably wait until I measure the pH to add any baking soda.

"Let's say, hypothetically of course, someone accidentally sat on an unsheathed banana covered in KY. I know this guy who wants to know what would happen if, hypothetically speaking, of course, since what kind of idiot would ever actually do this? one were to sit on an unsheathed banana covered in KY....I mean this hypothetical person...meant to add"

...You can see how this could be seen as unbelievable or even ridiculous, right? Just fess up and come clean that YOU actually added baking powder to your mash.

What kind of beer are you making? I've found baking soda to be mostly unnecessary in brewing (I admit, there probably are a few rare cases where it is).

What kind of beer was I trying to make? You mean what kind of beer was the hypothetical brewer making, right? ;)

And, hypothetically speaking, assume the addition was called for as a result of using water software, like, say, oh, I don't know...bru'nwater? Hypothetically, of course.

baking powder is mostly corn starch and baking soda (with a few sulphates for co2 production)

so you added a little baking soda for a minor ph adjustment and a lot of starch that won't convert, your mash may fizz a bit.

it will ferment out a bit high but not be horrible, its only 1/2 a teaspoon of starch .

BTW: you need to freeze the hypothetical banana or the whole process gets messy.

baking powder is mostly corn starch and baking soda (with a few sulphates for co2 production)

so you added a little baking soda for a minor ph adjustment and a lot of starch that won't convert, your mash may fizz a bit.

it will ferment out a bit high but not be horrible, its only 1/2 a teaspoon of starch .

BTW: you need to freeze the hypothetical banana or the whole process gets messy.

But the final taste, you think, won't be impacted in a noticeable (or at least negatively noticeable) way? It's the aluminum and Monocalcium Phosphate that had me concerned. I discovered they use the latter in fertilizer.

But the final taste, you think, won't be impacted in a noticeable (or at least negatively noticeable) way? It's the aluminum and Monocalcium Phosphate that had me concerned. I discovered they use the latter in fertilizer.

I really don't think it will, the amounts of those are very small. diluted to 5-10 gallons its nothing.

Just for the record, the beer to which I accidentally added baking powder came out really poorly. It's tart as all hell; has an artificial, chemical taste; and a lingering, cloying, offensive bitterness in the aftertaste. It is, in other words, a dumper.

SO for those who have a similar question in the future, the answer is: yes, baking powder can ruin your beer.

Just for the record, the beer to which I accidentally added baking powder came out really poorly. It's tart as all hell; has an artificial, chemical taste; and a lingering, cloying, offensive bitterness in the aftertaste. It is, in other words, a dumper.

SO for those who have a similar question in the future, the answer is: yes, baking powder can ruin your beer.

Okay, but what happened to the banana? :ban:

So, in the interest of science, I know this guy that, who also added 1/2 tsp of baking powder to his mash. I will stay in touch with him and report back on how my, I mean his, schwarzbier turns out. He did mention that the post boil sample tasted fine.

Well this is an old thread, funny thing is some guy asked me what would happen if he had done this exact thing in his robust porter in the weekend then threw some baking soda in at the end of the mash when he realised... I'll check back in with him when it's done and see how it turned out.

Back