Where do you guy GF ingredients?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chs9

Reaction score
A friend of mine is a celiac and I've recently been teaching her to brew because she's sick of red bridge and interested in brewing her own GF beer.

I have 3 questions -

Do GF brewers ever mash? If so, where can I find some information on how that's done?

Where do GF brewers buy ingredients?

Are there any publications on GF brewing?

I'm sure these seem pretty basic but I have almost no knowledge of GF brewing other than the stickies and a few threads I've read on the forum here. I haven't found much via google but perhaps I don't even know what to search for - I'm totally unfamiliar with GF brewing.

Thank you

1: Yes (kind of). The threads are primarily in this forum. Which may include links to some of our blogs.
At the moment, there is only relative success in mashing, mostly due to the necessity of enzymes that may not be provided by the malted grain. Not to mention we also have to malt (sprout) our own grain. There have been some people working with buckwheat and millet, and I believe quinoa. And some of us who will potentially be using koji as an enzyme source.

2) Any gluten free store will have some of what we need. So usually health food stores, some normal grocery stores (Mostly for rice syrup) and certain brewing stores.
I buy sorghum syrup from my LHBS (www.homebrewing.org) but you can also buy from online sources like northernbrewer and the site give above.
I'm still considering where to get various grains from other than the healthfoods store, sorghum being the more difficult.

3) I haven't seen any beyond the occasional article about gluten free beer. The bulk of the information I find here, and it's up to date too.

There was a good pod cast of Basic Brewing radio about GF brewing. The lady he interviewed had celiac and she owned a home brew store. Had alot of good info and she sells GF stuff online.

http://www.highgravitybrew.com/index.asp

She was using brown rice syrup instead of sorgum and was experimenting with Clarity ferm

http://www.highgravitybrew.com/productcart/pc/Clarifier-Clarity-Ferm-71p3110.htm

It attacks the proteins that cause the celiac reation and breaks it down into a protien that will not react. It has been used in Europe by some brewery's that claim it makes their beer gluten free. I am not sure how it is measured, but I will use ppm as an example, she claims that the people who suffer the most will react to 10 ppm and the clarity ferm can get a normaly brewed malt beer down to 5 ppm and it does not effect the flavor.

I am not celiac but I have a friend who is, I have brewed a few GF beers for her and I think I am going to try the clarity ferm on a batch and see how it goes. I would suggest listening to the pod cast and then contact High Gravity. The owner is working on recipes as well as a book I believe.

Most GF brewing is done with extract unless you want to malt your own grains.

VB

I totally agree, it will be different for each person. The batch I am thinking about trying would be a partial mash, something like 3lb of brown rice syrup, 3 lb of 2 row, and cascade hops. That way it wont have as much protein to break down and see what happens. My friend says she will know within 1/2 a beer if it will be a problem. She reacts pretty fast but her symptoms are not as bad as most so she is willing to experiment.

VB

Latest posts

Back