Irish Red Ale Quaffable Irish Red (Extract)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, how's the head on this beer? I like a big creamy head on Irish Ale... like as close to a Guinness head as can be without nitrogen. Would the addition of a head retention grain be appropriate for this beer (and if so, maybe how much?) or is the head pretty good already?

Thanks!

You must not have seen this photo!!! :D

Aiden_s_1st_Beer_003.jpg

Hey, I am going to get the ingredients for this recipe today. My wife has really gotten into the beer I've been making and this will be her first attempt.

I'd like to convert this to a full boil. I tried an online calculator (I'm on a mac so I don't think I can use Beersmith) and this is as good as I could get:

hops
USE TIME OZ VARIETY FORM AA
boil 60 mins 0.75 Goldings, East Kent pellet 4.8
boil 1 min 1.0 Willamette pellet 5.0
Boil: 5.0 avg gallons for 60 minutes
Bitterness
3.6 HBU
15.0 IBU
ƒ: Tinseth
BU:GU

Does that look right?

We ended up brewing it today. We opted for the partial boil to be on the safe side (and couldn't by the hops in less than an ounce anyway) and I'm really excited about it. My wife loved the process and appreciated the equipment that I've upgraded our setup with (turkey fryer, SS pot, wort chiller). So that's win/win! I'll let you know how it turns out.

Just brewed this baby up yesterday! LHBS had everything, except I used muttons Light LME, and I used .5 lbs of carapils, instead of caramel pils- hopefully the changes wont impact the beer too much.
How detrimental do you think it would be if I racked into bottles after 1 wk in the primary, and 1 wk in the secondary, In an attempt to be able to crack a few bottles for St. Patty's day? Should I give it a shot, or just let the beer sit, rack to bottles after 3 wks, and enjoy the DFH 60 min clone I just bottled for 3/17?
Thanks for the imput, look forward to passin out a few of the Quaffable Irish Red!

Best to not rush this beer. Use the 1,2,3 rule

1 week primary
2 weeks 2ndary
3 weeks carbing.

Drink to your health!

If you are desperate buy a 6r of Smithwicks, and furgetaboutit!

Best to not rush this beer. Use the 1,2,3 rule

1 week primary
2 weeks 2ndary
3 weeks carbing.

Drink to your health!

If you are desperate buy a 6r of Smithwicks, and furgetaboutit!

I like your idea but I would disagree that a 6r of Smithwicks is enough to furgetaboutit. Maybe a 60r :)

Ours is bubbling away. My plan is to brew a Wee Heavy this weekend and pitch it on top of the yeast cake after I transfer this one to secondary.

Do any of you happen to have an extract scotch ale that you would recommend?

So I have had this in the bottle 4 weeks now. It was in my basement at around 55 degrees for two weeks, but on Schlenkerla's suggestion, I brought it upstairs in about a 65 degree room for two weeks. It seems to me the carbonation is still pretty light, or at least it doesnt last very long. It is also very very light on hoppiness. I was going to get a case of Killian's Irish Red for comparison, but they are twist off caps, and I'm so obsessed with home brewing I avoid any bottles I can't reuse!

It's also still slightly sweet. Does that sound in line with the style, or other people's experience with the recipe?

That being said, this beer has the BEST head retention and lacing in the glass of any of my previous brews.

So I have had this in the bottle 4 weeks now. It was in my basement at around 55 degrees for two weeks, but on Schlenkerla's suggestion, I brought it upstairs in about a 65 degree room for two weeks. It seems to me the carbonation is still pretty light, or at least it doesnt last very long. It is also very very light on hoppiness. I was going to get a case of Killian's Irish Red for comparison, but they are twist off caps, and I'm so obsessed with home brewing I avoid any bottles I can't reuse!

It's also still slightly sweet. Does that sound in line with the style, or other people's experience with the recipe?

That being said, this beer has the BEST head retention and lacing in the glass of any of my previous brews.

If its sweet and the carbonation is low, then it needs a bit more time. This beer should be balanced, not overly bitter or sweet.

I just finished bottling this and Team Canada scored. woot!

On a side note, my LHBS didn't have some of the same ingredients as the original recipe so i'd thought id post my changes.

The changes made the beer come out more so of a brown ale but still has a bit of irish kick to it. Little darker in colour because of the addition of the Brown Malt. Also the yeast I used is different as well. I'll post some pics in a few weeks.

Type: Extract
Yeast: Wyeast 1056 American Ale
OG: 1.043
FG: 1.012

6 lb LME
1/2 lb Caramel Pils Malt
1/4 lb Brown Malt
0.13 lb Biscuit Malt
0.13 lb Chocolate Malt

1 oz Goldings (60 min)
1 oz Fuggles (1 min)

Primary: 7 days @ 18 degC
Secondary: 14 days @ 18 degC

So this will be my first attempt at brewing a recipe that I really am looking forward to trying this but I have some basic questions about the recipe lay out. I have gathered all the ingrediants that I see but one think I don't understand is am I suppose to add dextrose to my wort before I put it in my primary fermenter. I know it needs 5oz of dextrose to prime it before racking. Also Does this recipe call for a dry malt extract or liquid malt extract? (which is what I thought LME stood for) Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

So this will be my first attempt at brewing a recipe that I really am looking forward to trying this but I have some basic questions about the recipe lay out. I have gathered all the ingrediants that I see but one think I don't understand is am I suppose to add dextrose to my wort before I put it in my primary fermenter. I know it needs 5oz of dextrose to prime it before racking. Also Does this recipe call for a dry malt extract or liquid malt extract? (which is what I thought LME stood for) Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

For this recipe, it's liquid malt extract (LME). Adding dextrose will be the very last stage of the process before you bottle the beer. You will add your wort to the primary and allow it to ferment, then (optionally) drop it into the secondary to settle out. The last step will be to transfer it to a bottling bucket (if available) and add the dextrose, then bottle. The dextrose will be consumed by the yeast while in the bottle and used to carbonate the beer.

FBF - You might want to read the section on extract brewing in this link. This will help you a lot.

www.howtobrew.com

Thank you guys for all the help. One other thing my LHBS that I got my ingrediants from was out of LME so I got DME instead I know that DME is more concentrated than LME and you sould only use 80% of what you would use if you were using LME so for this recipe instead of 6lbs of LME 4.8lbs of DME. The question is the DME came in 3lb bags and I got two of them so should I weigh out ~5lbs or can i just add that extra pound and what will it do to my beer besides give it more ABV and make it ferment longer?

Thank you guys for all the help. One other thing my LHBS that I got my ingrediants from was out of LME so I got DME instead I know that DME is more concentrated than LME and you sould only use 80% of what you would use if you were using LME so for this recipe instead of 6lbs of LME 4.8lbs of DME. The question is the DME came in 3lb bags and I got two of them so should I weigh out ~5lbs or can i just add that extra pound and what will it do to my beer besides give it more ABV and make it ferment longer?

Definitely weigh it out. Save the rest for something else. Keep it in a tupper-ware tub, tear off the label and stuff it inside with the DME. It will store well and you'll know what it is for next time.

24970_10150160412210046_508205045_11603404_5903215_n.jpg

LHBS didn't have the Special Roast Malt so here is my mod:

6 lb Light DME
1/2 lb Caramel Pils Malt
1/4 lb Brown Malt
0.13 lb Biscuit Malt
0.13 lb Chocolate Malt

1 oz Goldings (60 min)
1 oz Fuggles (1 min)

Turned out really good. Not as nutty as the original but the brown malt provides a nice alternative.

One thing that I love about this beer is the flavour stays in your mouth for a long time even after you take a small sip!

6 lb Light DME
1/2 lb Caramel Pils Malt
1/4 lb Brown Malt
0.13 lb Biscuit Malt
0.13 lb Chocolate Malt

1 oz Goldings (60 min)
1 oz Fuggles (1 min)

Turned out really good. Not as nutty as the original but the brown malt provides a nice alternative.

One thing that I love about this beer is the flavour stays in your mouth for a long time even after you take a small sip!

Jamie3, that looks really good!! I see you're also in Nova Scotia, cool!

What LHBS do you go to where you had to substitute? I'm making this next.

Jamie3, that looks really good!! I see you're also in Nova Scotia, cool!

What LHBS do you go to where you had to substitute? I'm making this next.

Hey another nova scotianer!

I order all my stuff from Noble Grape (cole harbour and burnside). The staff is really knowledgeable and always friendly.

If you are located in the halifax area I can drop one of these beers off for you.

Cheers.

Hey another nova scotianer!

I order all my stuff from Noble Grape (cole harbour and burnside). The staff is really knowledgeable and always friendly.

Yeah I get my stuff from Noble Grape in Burnside they seem to know what they're doing and have a decent amount of beer supplies.

If you are located in the halifax area I can drop one of these beers off for you.

Cheers.

That would be awesome! I live in Dartmouth and work in Bedford. I'm only getting ready to keg my first brew and if it's any good I'll return the favour. PM on it's way.

I brewed this recipe this last weekend it was my first brew it went really well and with in 12 hours of putting it in my fermenter it was bubbling away I really hope it turns out well

24970_10150160412210046_508205045_11603404_5903215_n.jpg

6 lb Light DME
1/2 lb Caramel Pils Malt
1/4 lb Brown Malt
0.13 lb Biscuit Malt
0.13 lb Chocolate Malt

1 oz Goldings (60 min)
1 oz Fuggles (1 min)

Update: This has been bottled for over a month now and the head simply keeps getting bigger and thicker. The head literally sticks to the side of the glass! The mouth feel is also more thick since I first tasted it a few weeks ago. Really good. In a few weeks time I will post some pics.

Going to bottle this this week I can't wait to drink it I need to get my pipeline built up so I am not staring at my bucket waiting for 6 weeks agian

This one is on my list.

So did NB pay you for the rights to this? :D It is exact...well almost, hops are slightly different, but I like yours better.

Any tried and true way to boost ABV slightly? Make it a slightly bigger brew, but keep the balance, etc? DME? Honey? Dark Belgian Candi Syrup?

This one is on my list.

So did NB pay you for the rights to this? :D It is exact...well almost, hops are slightly different, but I like yours better.

Any tried and true way to boost ABV slightly? Make it a slightly bigger brew, but keep the balance, etc? DME? Honey? Dark Belgian Candi Syrup?

Yes they did! The royalty is one AG grain kit of this every month!!!:D

We just cracked into my wife's first brew this week. It had been two weeks in the bottle and there was very little head to it but the carbonation felt right. Hopefully that will improve with time.

The flavor is great! Very smooth and malty. A great contrast to the IPAs that I love so this might be one to keep in stock. Thanks for the recipe!

We just cracked into my wife's first brew this week. It had been two weeks in the bottle and there was very little head to it but the carbonation felt right. Hopefully that will improve with time.

The flavor is great! Very smooth and malty. A great contrast to the IPAs that I love so this might be one to keep in stock. Thanks for the recipe!

I bet your beer was too young or too cold. Everyone of these should have a killer head.

Well, I brewed it, I kegged it, I drank it and finally I love it!

This is an extremely well balanced brew, nice work on this recipe Schlenkerla. I am surprised that SWMBO actually likes this one (she likes very few of my brews, but humors me enough to try them all anyway). Mine does have excellent head retention and good lacing. This is very true to the style and just might find a home in my kegerator indefinitely, I will brew this again. Need to cook up some corned beef and cabbage and kick it Irish style.

Thanks for the GREAT recipe! :mug:

Just cracked a few of these open after three weeks in bottles I think my fridge was too cold cause there was not much head but they taste pretty good. I think I am going to add gelatin next time cause it was fairly cloudy. It also was a little less sweet than I expected but definityly a good beer for my first.

Brewing tonight. My first Extract brew since 4 years ago when I converted to AG... I figure Waiting on my HERMS system to complete so right now I can't unfortunately, brew AG... but I ran out of beer.

Hope this will turn out great!

Brewing tonight. My first Extract brew since 4 years ago when I converted to AG... I figure Waiting on my HERMS system to complete so right now I can't unfortunately, brew AG... but I ran out of beer.

Hope this will turn out great!

If you like this one try my AG version when you get the HERMS going.

Back