Indian Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoldenShowerGladiator

Reaction score
So today I'm going to brew up a Dogfish Head: Indian Brown Ale clone (partial mash). I've read people saying that the clone recipe from Extreme Brewing isn't as spot-on as ol' Sam would have us believe. Any tips for today's adventure?

So today I'm going to brew up a Dogfish Head: Indian Brown Ale clone (partial mash). I've read people saying that the clone recipe from Extreme Brewing isn't as spot-on as ol' Sam would have us believe. Any tips for today's adventure?

I brewed it and it seems pretty damn close to me.

I didn't caramelize the brown sugar, but I think if I did it again, I would try it.

I did an all grain version of this and have to say it is a great beer. My only tweak however was doubling the brown sugar.

It is on tap now ....

I did this clone, partial mash. I added more brown sugar and it turned out so close that a few of my buddies could not tell the difference.

i've begun paying attention to gravity readings recently. with this beer i was supposed to hit 1.075 as my original gravity. i overshot it and hit 1.092. i feel like i followed the instructions pretty well. what would cause this to happen? and will my beer prosper or suffer from this?

i should have prefaced everything by saying that i've got about 12 extract beers under my belt and only now am i really becoming intrigued with the more scientific side of things

I make a variation of this i got out of the book. My LHBS doesnt have the light Chocolate Malt so i use the regular 450L Chocolate they sell i just cut the amount in half. I also love Warrior so i do a different hop schedule with all Warrior. .25oz first wort hops, .75oz at 60min and .5oz at flame out. Malt flavor is great and so is the Hop bittering and flavor. I have a batch thats getting bottled in the morning that i did .5lb of turbinado sugar. Had one from my last batch that i opened after 3 months and had a metallic/sulpher taste and i heard brown sugar can do that so is switched up the sugar at the end.

Good Luck its a great beer

Rock Chalk

Chris

- i brought 5 gallons to 150 degrees and steeped my grains for 15 minutes (per what the book said)
- i brought it to a boil, stopped and added my DME
- i brought it back to a boil and added my first hops
- i added dark brown sugar with 10 minutes left
- i added my hops at knockout
- i cooled it down with my wort chiller

pretty much word for word what the book asked. any ideas why i overshot my gravity? is a .017 difference a big disparity?

This was an easy brew and came out tasting pretty good. Like the bottled Indian Brown, I can't drink too much in one sitting - it gets old. A pint or two but more starts tasting repetitive.

I followed the recipe with the exception of doubling the brown sugar. All else, including Ringwood was the same.

It is a great beer, just not for session drinking.

Now the Dead Guy Ale clones - those are the snicklefritz. I can down DGA without thinking.

I wonder how an Iced Dead Guy would be. Possibly more potent than Double Dead Guy!

The recipe is actually for 6 gallons so you overshot it because you only used five. :) I have his book and weird as it seems, he lists it as for 6.

Latest posts

Back