Building a keezer...can i spray paint the freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaginger

Reaction score
Just picked up a 6 year old 12.2 cu ft for a good-sized keezer build. It's white though and the paint isn't great in quite a few spots. I'd like to just sand, prime, and spray paint it black. Anyone see a problem with this, like having paint flaking off for the next dozen years or something?

No problem I can see. I assume you're talking about the outside? Just clean and sand it really well then primer...I'd talk with someone about what type of primer and paint to use.

If there's rust that's another story

You may want to put clear over the top of the black to make it look a more uniform sheen .:D

I bought a white fridge well over a year ago, used standard black spray paint, no primers, sanding nothing. The fridge looks like it's always been black. Painted the front in chalk board paint. Go for it.

I used appliance paint from lowes, turned out pretty good.

p2.jpg

Great, good to know this will work. I'll check out the diff types of paint and any suggestions here are welcome.

I sanded and painted my freezer with rustoleum. 2 coats. The rust still came back (it was rusty when I got it) and is eating through the paint. I keep it outside. Got it about 9 months ago.

I sanded the crap out of it with an orbital.

The paint is not flaking at all. I thought that the rustoleum was all the rust protection that I needed, but I was wrong. So, from my experience, I would spend an extra $5 or $10 and prime with a rust inhibitor. Then paint.

Hmm, I sanded well then primed and sprayed rustoleum stainless steel colored spray paint (changed my mind on color. After one coat the surface is very rough and grainy. Maybe I stink at spray painting -- I think I may have held the can too far away from the surface.

Hmm, I sanded well then primed and sprayed rustoleum stainless steel colored spray paint (changed my mind on color. After one coat the surface is very rough and grainy. Maybe I stink at spray painting -- I think I may have held the can too far away from the surface.

I hate spray paint for anything this big. Brush/roller it on.

I did mine with appliance paint and it turned out great. Make sure you do at least two coats and if rust has been an issue then I would suggest priming it, aside from that it's pretty simple

Normaly the spray paint does not cover evenly (for me) that is why you clear it as it will go on a LOT better and help a LOT to prevent rust .

Give it a try.

I just finished mine and used chalkboard spray paint, 3 or 4 coats. I like the matt look paint job as opposed to black, don't know yet about longevity yet. I hand sanded before spraying.

Normaly the spray paint does not cover evenly (for me) that is why you clear it as it will go on a LOT better and help a LOT to prevent rust .

Give it a try.

You're saying clear coat afterwards will help even out the sheen? That would make it look a ton better.

Thanks for the other comments. I sanded away some very small rust spots and I also primed. I think I'm a little light on coverage which is part of the problem, and it was in the 40's when I sprayed outside which i don't think helped.

I'll try to get it warmer inside and coat a little heavier. But yeah I'm finding spraying this whole thing is a PITA.

Back