Does using liquid extracts always equal a fairly dark brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rogerroy

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have made about five batches of various brews so far, the last being a Hefe-weizen, and they all have been fairly dark, including this last batch. I have used liquid extract in all of them. I was figuring this last one may be more "golden."

Thanks!

Extracts are prone to darkening during production and storage. Also all wort will darken during the boil.

Mike

I can make some pretty light colored beers and I use only liquid extract - I usually do a 4-5 lb partial mash first, start the boil and then add my LME in the last 10 minutes of the boil. If you're using all extract and a partial boil, try adding between 1/3 and 1/2 of the extract at the beginning, then the rest late in the boil.

If you want lighter colored beer, do a full boil, use lighter colored extract, or add most of your extract at the end of the boil.

You get much better hop utilization with a lower gravity wort. I only add a pound or two for the full 60 minute boil and the rest at flame out. It doesn't matter if the extract is liquid or dry.

Tom

Liquid extracts still undergo Maillard reactions on storage, causing them to darken. DME does not do this. So, make sure the LME is fresh, or use DME.

My last brew I used all DME and it looks like this is my lightest colored beer yet. And I added it pre boil. 3lbs amber and 3lbs extra light. This was not a full boil.

Back