anyone got a good corned beef and cabbage recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

no1likesme

Reaction score
I am thinking about making some corned beef and cabbage in the near future and I was wondering if anyone had a good recipe.

thanks

We always do a New England Boiled Dinner, what most Americans think of as "Corned Beef and Cabbage." Little Trivia factoid: Irish immigrants couldn't get "Irish Bacon" that was in a traditional cabbage boil and picked up the corned beef from the jewish markets on the east coast.

Corned beef brisket
potatoes (cubed)
rutabaga or yellow turnip (cubed)
onions (cubed)
carrots (peeled)
cabbage (cube the head)

Place brisket in heavy pot, cover with hot water and simmer covered for about 3 1/2 hours. Remove meat and keep warm. Skim off excess fat and add onions, carrots, potatoes and turnips. Cover and cook 20 minutes. Add cabbage. Continue cooking 10-15 minutes.

We usually take everything out of the pot and serve on a platter with some of the cooking juice in a gravy boat. Also have a little white vinegar/oil dressing on the table.

Cheers!

I always add about a table spoon or two of whole black peppercorns and the same amount of whole cloves.

then, when serving, I put maybe three or four tablespoons of brown mustard in a bowl and then add about two or three tablespoons of dark brown sugar... pop it in the microwave for about 20 seconds just to warm it up a little and mix the mustard and brown sugar until the sugar completely dissolves... and then use that as a "dipping sauce" for the corned beef.

It's really... really good.

I always use this recipe I've altered ofer the years but loosely based on the Vienna Beef website recipe

1 Corned Beef Brisket (4-5 lbs)
2 bay leaves
1 large head of cabbage
1 pound carrots
8 peppercorns
6 large potatoes
2 cinnamon sticks
1 stalk celery
6 cloves garlic, whole peeled
3 whole cloves
¼ tsp black pepper, ground

Pre Heat oven to 350.
Wash brisket. Make small X slits in the meat and insert garlic and cloves pieces. Place the meat into a dutch oven (at least 8 quarts.) Cover the meat with water. Add bay leaves, peppercorns, 2 carrots diced and diced celery. Bring to a boil, skim off foam and reduce heat to a simmer for 15 min. Cover the dutch oven and place it into the oven for 2-3 hours, or until meat is nearly tender. Meanwhile, prepare vegetables. Quarter the cabbage, peel potatoes, carrots. Slice vegetables into 2 inch chucks. During last 45 min add remaining vegetables and cook until tender. With 15 min remaining, pull the dutch oven out and remove the brisket to rest. Place the D.O. back on the burner to allow the veggies to finish at a high simmer. Remember to slice the bricket across the grain.
Also I love to save some of the brisket and potatoes to make corned beef hash the next day....

Just giving this a little bump.

Did 6lbs of corned beef, 6lbs (two heads) of cabbage, 3 lbs of carrots and 4lbs of potatoes yesterday. Added a little fresh crushed black pepper and the seasoning packet that came with the brisket and that was it. Simmered for about 4 hours total.

Floated a keg of Standard Bitter with 8 people and I have enough leftover for lunch today. Might have to do a little one for Tuesday dinner. I was counting on leftovers for hash as well. :(

Whatever you do for ingredients, hold them outside the pot until the water comes to a boil. Once you get a rolling boil you'll find a buttload of pink foam. Get the foam out with a spoon or turkey baster or whatever.

When the foam production settles down, then add whatever for spices and simmer until the beef is ready.

M2c.

They had corned beef on sale at the grocery store for $1.49 a pound so I bought five of them for about $25.00, rubbed them with black pepper, crushed coriander, and hot paprika. I then put them in the smoker for an hour at 130 with the vent fully opened so the outside could dry. I then closed the vent so it was only open 1/4 and smoked for 2 hours with alder. After that, I slowly increase the temp to 220 and smoked until they were 180*F inside. Now I have about $100 worth of pastrami that cost me $25 to make. I vac locked it and froze it. We've eaten one so far with homemade rye bread and it was amazing. We used the leftovers to make hash and eggs for breakfast last Saturday and it was good (and smoky).

Back