Any need for a muslin straining bag in Mead Making?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruger12pk

Reaction score
I was wondering if a muslin brewing bag would work for straining oranges, cinnamon sticks and raisins for JAOM? Granted prolly not the sticks but what about keeping the rest of the organic mush out of the Mead before clearing? Bad idea? Good? Indifferent? Not needed? Silly ass question!?....LOL

:fro:

all in all an ok question. Part of the nice thing about mead is that you will leave it alone long enough that all the junk will settle out. I can see some advantage to using a bag to help contain the bits and pieces though. Racking JOAM is tricky at best, and a bag could simplify it greatly. Give it a shot!

all in all an ok question. Part of the nice thing about mead is that you will leave it alone long enough that all the junk will settle out. I can see some advantage to using a bag to help contain the bits and pieces though. Racking JOAM is tricky at best, and a bag could simplify it greatly. Give it a shot!

Thanks Big! My main concern would be the raisins themselves since they are going to be the actual "food" for the yeast. Is keeping them in the bag with the oranges hamper the effectivness of their original function or does it matter?

I seriously doubt it would matter. Just toss them in seperate if it has your panties in a bunch, but as long as you're gonna try the bag, Stick it all in there.

Thanks for the advice Big, and lets let slide the Panties in a Bunch Comment...LOL

ruger12pk, that's just BK's way, no need to get your ooooooh see what I did there? :D

Well at the risk of continuing this relative "non-issue" My response is "MY" way. Nuff said. So dont anyone go getting your Knickers in a Bunch, ok?...LOL

:mug:

Back