Hops from NZ - recipe ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evrk

Reaction score
These discounted NZ hops are probably from previous seasons, but as long as they've been stored properly they should be fine. Just beware that the AA listed on the packaging may not reflect their current bitterness contribution.

I've used Rakau and Nelson Sauvin and enjoyed both quite a lot. Use them for aroma/flavor additions and combine them with a 'C' hop for a interesting PA/IPA. On their own they can be cloying. Make for a particularly awesome aroma when used to dry hop.

Thanks for the info. Are there any major beers that use these hops so I can get an idea of their flavors?

Pacifica has major orange flavors. If you leave enough residual sweetness it may come off as orange marmalade. Nelson Sauvin can be overpowering but is very nice blended with 'C' hops. Drifter Pale Ale from Widmer Brothers uses Nelson Sauvin if I remember correctly.

I have purchased a pound of Pacifica from Rebelbrewer. Couldn't pass it up at .65 cents an ounce. Anyone used these before and what styles do they lend themselves too?

Pretty close to a noble hop so any style that a nobel hop would do well in. I used them in an IPA mixed with other citrusy hops and it went well.

Thanks! Maybe I'll try a smash to get an idea of the flavors and then work it into an ipa.

Back