Can you Brew It recipe for Nebraska Brewing Cardinal Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricCSU

Reaction score
All recipes are (unless otherwise specified): 6 gallons post-boil, 70% efficiency, Morey for color, 15% evaporation, 7.27 gallons preboil, Rager IBU, and most hops are in grams not ounces. Most, if not all recipes are primary only (no secondary).

THIS RECIPE UTILIZES A 75% EFFICIENCY. PLEASE ADJUST FOR YOUR SYSTEM.

If you brew this, please reply with your results for discussion.

OG 1055
FG 1012
IBUs 30
SRM 6.6

3.7kg Briess US 2-row 79.6%
350g Briess Crystal 10l 7.5%
350g Briess Crystal 20l 7.5%
250 g Briess Munich 10l 5.4%

60 minute boil

14g Galena 12.5% at 60m
17g Cascade 5%AA at 0m
74g Cascade at dry hop (the brewer claims that using fresh hops right out of the bag is very helpful)

WLP001

Mash at 150F.

Cool to 65F and pitch, raise to 68F for 5-6 days. Return to 58F for dry hopping for 4 days.

Discussion Notes:
Tasty dry hopped at 45F.

Editor's Notes:
Go Big Red!

I just plugged this recipe into Beersmith and it comes to 1.046 OG at 75% efficiency. Are you sure this is right? Maybe I've got something wrong...

6 gallons, just like all the others. I'll take another look at it today. Maybe I messed something up last night when typing it in.

Thanks for all your work with this Eric!

Jim,
You are correct. I ran this through brewsmith and I get 1046 as well. I am going to email Tasty and ask for clarification. Stand by.

Eric

Just got a response from Tasty. He says the recipe is correct and comes out to 1055 on his promash with an potential extract of the base grain at 1.036.

I have played with this for a little and can't get it to work.

I have homework and work projects to do, so I don't have the time to investigate this further. Feel free to update if anything figures this out.

Sorry.

Eric

C'mon guys, stop drinking! The recipe hits the numbers when batch size is 5 gallons and efficiency is 70%, with all the same ingredient amounts listed in this thread. The exact same recipe is in the latest Zymurgy magazine. Of course, if your batch size and efficiency are different, you'll have to adjust the ingredient amounts.

I verified this with Tasty yesterday (4-7-2011)....the recipe was mistakenly given for 5 gallons, not the usual 6. That's what's throwing people off. There will probably be an on-air correction and a correction to the archive.

Proper recipe for 6 gallons (adjusted/reposted...notice hops as well as grains):

THIS RECIPE UTILIZES A 75% EFFICIENCY. PLEASE ADJUST FOR YOUR SYSTEM.

If you brew this, please reply with your results for discussion.

OG 1055
FG 1012
IBUs 30
SRM 6.6

4.44kg Briess US 2-row 79.6%
420g Briess Crystal 10l 7.5%
420g Briess Crystal 20l 7.5%
300g Briess Munich 10l 5.4%

60 minute boil

17g Galena 12.5% at 60m
20g Cascade 5%AA at 0m
89g Cascade at dry hop (the brewer claims that using fresh hops right out of the bag is very helpful)

WLP001

Mash at 150F.

Cool to 65F and pitch, raise to 68F for 5-6 days. Return to 58F for dry hopping for 4 days.

Discussion Notes:
Tasty dry hopped at 45F.

Casey B.
Denver, CO

That makes a lot of sense. I tried to noodle this one for about an hour before giving up.

Eric

I just brewed 10 gallons of this today. Looking forward to that 5 oz of dry hop!
I was thinking i would get my normal 65% efficiency but instead i got 89% today so my OG is a but high, but oh well shouldn't hurt it too much...

It turned out amazing!
Dry Hopped for 7 days after 7 day primary
Kegged and its gone already! Everyone loved it. Such a great spring, session, pale ale. I am brewing this again soon!
Brewed 5 gallons with US-05 and 5 Gallons with the WLP090. I preferred the 090 version.

I tried my first bottle last night and it's fantastic! I haven't tried a commercial version but this recipe turns out one awesomely drinkable beer. Wonderfully balanced with a fluffy head that lasts forever. A real crowd-pleaser.

My only issue with it, which I'm sure is the result of me being a dry hop noob, is that I wound up with about 3/8 inch of sediment in my bottles rather than the light dusting I normally get. I dry hopped in a bag for five days at 58, removed the hops and crashed to 40 for two days before bottling. The next time I brew this I'll probably crash for 4-5 days unless someone has a better suggestion.

Glad to hear you like it, I love this recipe too! As far as the sediment, depends on the yeast you used but this is right, some take longer to drop out. I would try adding a fining agent like whirlfloc in the kettle (last 15 mins) and some gelatin in the secondary will knock it clear for sure. This is what Tasty has been talking about on the brewing network lately instead of filtering so that gelatin must be amazing, I have also heard it called isinglass, but as for cold crashing longer I would say that is a bad idea since the longer contact time with hops may have an adverse effect.

Another thing to consider if you are worried about sediment is trying to cold crash before dry hopping, so cold crash then transfer and dry hop. Let it warm up during the dry hop then crash again to drop the hops and extra sediment then package.

If you listen to the latest CYBI on Eagle Rock Revolution they were talking about something like this crash and drop yeast technique then dry hop and crash again after, sounds like a valid system to me!

Thanks for the ideas. I pretty much followed the schedule Nebraska Brewing uses, and I did use whirlfloc. I pitched at 65, let it free rise to 68 and held it for about five days. Then I lowered to 58 for a couple days to drop out some of the yeast (washed 1056) before I dry hopped using pellets in a hop bag. After five days, I removed the hop bag and crashed to 40 for two more days. Since I removed the hop bag before I crashed, I wouldn't think it would hurt to hold it there a few extra days before bottling, but maybe I'm missing something.

I just downloaded the Eagle Rock Revolution episode and I'll pay attention to their dry hop process. Btw, I live about 5 miles from the brewery and have had this beer there several times. Might be worth making since you like Nebraska's Cardinal Ale.
:mug:

Yeah for sure, I really like the simple malt bill! I am not able to get Weyermann Pale malt around here but I bet some Crisp Maris Otter would be similar?

I remember in the Mirror Pond episode of CYBI they used Great Western pale ale malt rather than normal 2-row and Jamil said a 50/50 blend of Maris Otter and 2-row would probably get you pretty close to pale ale malt. That's probably where I'd start. Good luck if you try it!

I brewed 10 more gallons of a recipe inspired by this one Sunday. This time I lowered the gravity to about 1.050 since i am basically using this as a propagating batch using:
15lb Rahr 2-row Pale
1.5lb Briess C10
1.5lb Briess C20
1lb Briess M10

1oz Warrior 16.7% @ 60 mins since I didn't have galena

4oz Cascade @ 0 with 15 minute rest then cooled

Pitched 2 vials of 090 in one carboy and 2 vials of 007 in one carboy.

Still not sure what I will dry hop with, probably rock the cascades again.

This brings the total gallons of this that I have brewed to 60 gallons!

Back