Can I rebottle Mead or Wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billc68

Reaction score
I made some JAOM a while back and got some sediment in my bottles, I want to give some away for Xmas, can I re-bottle it without risking oxidation?

I have access to CO2 and could put some in the bottles first.

Although I have never tried it, I'm guessing that siphoning each bottle is going to be a hassle and you would risk more than you'd gain. Maybe it would be easier to make a nice label describing the mead and how to pour correctly.

I made some JAOM a while back and got some sediment in my bottles, I want to give some away for Xmas, can I re-bottle it without risking oxidation?

I have access to CO2 and could put some in the bottles first.

I have rebottled mead before not because of sediment problems but because fire ants got to my mead and were chewing out the corks. They only ruined a few bottles, I was able to save the remaining ones by rebottling. Made a big mess though, all sorts of nasty insects showed up to their party! I have not experienced any oxidation with my re-bottles. Oxidation doesn't happen overnight, so if you are planning on gifting and drinking it during the holidays, why not?

I am only planning to give out a couple of bottles but I can't guarantee when it will be drunk.

On a side not JAOM is very tasty with scotch. I tried this as the mead reminded me of Drambuie.

Back