Milk Stout - How long to secondary ferment!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmickey

Reaction score
I brewed my Mackeson Milk Stout Clone on 9/20/09 and the only thing I did special was add about 12oz of unsweetened nestles baking cocoa.

I racked it to the secondary on 9/26/09.

How long would you all leave it on the secondary, is it time to bottle this weekend!?

6 days to racking is extremely quick. Even though fermentation may be complete, yeast need time to clean up/metabolize by-products of the fermentation such as acetaldehyde (green apples) and diacetyl (butter). Not only that, but you want your yeast to complete flocculation and clear/drop out.

Assuming your fermentation was complete, I would keep it in secondary for 2-3 weeks. I know you want to drink it soon, but patience is rewarded in this hobby.

yea - 1 week in the primary is pretty quick.

I would wait at least two weeks in the secondary and it will be at it's best, 3 or 4 months after bottling.

Lots of stuff going on in that brew that needs a good aging. All of my Stouts are peaking at 6 months! Taste good early but need aging for sure.

IF I were you I would wait until the NEXT weekend but this weekend is OK.

Thanks guys, Yep, I'm in NO real hurry with this beer. This is my first stout. The reason I racked it to secondary in 6 days was I had the help to move the 5 gallons so it made sense to rack it. Somehow I either got a hernia and/or just some strained muscles and so when i had the help I wanted to rack it, plus the visible signs of primary fermentation were definately over when I racked it. I'd gladly leave it for another week or more, I'm in no hurry to lift it yet!

hernia!!!! I had one of those when I had a 55 gallon fish tank - SUCKS!!

Also - TOTALLY suck if I had one since I start brewing.

you have to make 1 quart batches.

Back