2 Corny Kegerator: Which One? (Oster not available)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fastricky

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OK, got the green light for a Kegerator. :ban:

Which one?? The Oster which I've read a lot about (5.0) is no longer available.

Folks seem to like the Sanyo 4912M. Still the one to get?

Sears has a Kenmore (and I tend to like Sears products) but it's only 4.6cu ft versus 4.9 for the Sanyo... will this be a problem?

Here's a link to the Sears (and they are having a sale now so if this works that'd be awesome!)

Kenmore 4.6 cu. ft. Compact Refrigerator - 94679 at Sears.com

Help! :D

Stick with the Sanyo if you can get one. There is a lot of info on those for tower applications and they do not have a freezer section.

I can find the Sanyo... reviews are mixed and durability seems iffy. I reckon that's how it goes with these compact refrigerators?

I can find the Sanyo... reviews are mixed and durability seems iffy. I reckon that's how it goes with these compact refrigerators?
Haven't heard all that much negative on reliability of the Sanyo but just make sure the one you buy doesn't have the freezer compartment as it will get in the way of the kegs.

I got the Sanyo for my kegerator and I have no complaints yet. I needed an external thermostat but that was expected. I have no duability issues but I have only had it for a half a year or so but it was used when I bought it off CL.

My only issue now is that I want to get a chest freezer. I don't know if you have another fridge or anything to cold crash and stuff in but I miss having a large fridge at my disposal (I had to leave it behind when I moved).

Why not go with a small chest freezer for that price?

Kenmore 7.2 cu. ft. Chest Freezer - 16702 at Sears.com

Note the comment:
"Well made, quiet and efficient. I use it with an external temperature controller for cold storage and lagering of home brewed beer. The compressor shelf limits it's capacity to three 5 gallon kegs, but if you have the smaller 2-1/2 or 3 gallon kegs you can fit two of them on the compressor shelf. I am happy with this freezer"

It would give you upgrade flexibility to go for three taps or even 5 if you want to pick up a couple 3 gallon cornies down the road. If you want just two, you can use a third for lagering.

These are also going to be better insulated and use less power - $25 vs $35 over the course of a year according to the sticker, so you will get a little bit back over time.

Back