Recipe searching?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juggaleo

Reaction score
For all the people who don't formulate their own recipes yet, where is/was your favorite place to browse for them?

The recipes section at the top is pretty awesome. Along with the BYO recipe list.

I figured right where I already am would be a response. I have found lot's of great information here so no disrespect, but i'm finding it hard to navigate efficiently through recipes in the forum. I'm on my third brew tomorrow night and potentially switching to partial mash via deathbrewers method and can't decide what would work well with it.. would like to do a wit or something in the wheat categorie

I have also used Northern Brewer's website. I look at the kits of a style I would like to do, open the page that has the recipe and instructions. I then use Beersmith 2 to formulate my recipe substituting ingredients as needed or desired. I often look at similar recipes from several sources to make mine.

I'm in the detroitish area too... do you go to wine barrel plus?

How much harder is it to "navigate" through recipes here, than some random recipe collection? Just go to the style you're interested in, and look through the recipes. Look at who the brewer is, if he's someone respected on here, read any comments and discussions in the threads, look at the ingredients to see if they sound good to you, and choose. The thing about the database, as opposed to the "recipe/ingredients" section of the forum is that it is pretty vetted. We make sure that ONLY beers that have actually been brewed stay in there, as opposed to "in progress."

The mods will move anything that is suspicious, or that we report to the other section. You can easily gauge the feedback on the recipes, by the discussions in the thread, as opposed to some of the other collections, which are JUST the recipes, with little if any comments, and no understanding/feedback on if the beer even turned out.

Many of us may have a ton of recipes in the recipe/ingredients section, but ONLY commit a handful of recipes to the database, only those that we'd stake our name and reputation on. That we can gaurentee are good recipes. The few that I've committed have usually been brewed 2-3 times before I put them in there, have been tasted by a lot of brewers and beer geeks, and may have even won awards.

And you can usually ask questions directly to us about the beers, which you can't always expect to happen on some less interactive site.

You don't get that sort of thing on mot recipe collection sites....

Believe me, I have decided recently that HBT is the best place to be.. that's why I gave up searching anywhere else and decided to just ask here.. I guess the real problem for me is that I'm finding one I want to do, open thread and it's all grain. which is probably too advanced for at this point

Believe me, I have decided recently that HBT is the best place to be.. that's why I gave up searching anywhere else and decided to just ask here.. I guess the real problem for me is that I'm finding one I want to do, open thread and it's all grain. which is probably too advanced for at this point

1) If it's a good recipe, there is also usually an extract version of it, in the same thread or somewhere else.

2) It's not hard to learn to convert and ag recipe to an extract one. There's hundreds of discussions on how to do it one here, most brewing software can do it, or help you do it, and this pdf file shows how you do it by hand.

That really shouldn't deter you from taking a recipe and brewing it.

If you look at my old bog road recipe in the recipe pulldown under my name, I actually break it down from ag to partial mashes with different amounts of extract to all extract with grain. If you look at how the recipe changes you'll understand how to convert it yourself.

I'm in Livonia so that's a bit of a hike but I'll have to check it out sometime. The one in Southfield is apparently closed but I can hit wine barrel in 7 minutes if I need too which is pretty much my only option brewing after work tomorrow.. but if I don't go in there tomorrow with an ironed out recipe the dude will talk me into changing everything so right.. anyone know a good partial mash wit?

Alright.. thanks I'll look into that, gotta get back to work thanks for the help

Back