Hops Direct just put up 2012 Crop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brutus Brewer

Reaction score
I just placed an order with hops direct, for

Cascade - $11.85 per pound
Belma - $5.25 per pound
Citra - $17.25 per pound
Amarillo - $18.00 per pound
Chinook - $15.55 per pound
Willamette - $9.90 per pound

The Amarillo, Citra, and Chinook went on sale about 5 minutes ago. Get them while you can

citra is too, what did they have five pounds to sell?

If I remember there was like 150 pounds of Citra and maybe 175 pounds of Amarillo. I emailed them and was told they would release them between 7 and 8 eastern, and it was 7:50 give or take when they went online. I had the site up since 7.

This is absurd, I was trolling their site all day today at work waiting for them to go on sale. Then I learned that they would go on sale at 5pst. I stopped for some bombers at the beer store on the way home from work thinking that 15 min wouldnt be a big deal....boy was I wrong. They must have sold out in like 20 minutes

Even limiting it to one pound per customer, the amarillo and citra went FAST, and the website says something like "only 600 pounds left" of centennial!

I think all the big breweries are getting as much of those two hops they can.

maybe just to try new beers for thier tab rooms.

yeah I'm still rather bitter and upset; I saw them as soon as they went up on the site and had them in my cart but was debating about purchasing another type of hop. Before I could complete the purchase they were sold out. :(

I ordered all my rare hops from label peelers last month but grabbed a few pounds of Belma from Hops Direct. At $5.25 a pound I'll try it out in a few beers.

you think people ordered a lot of 1pounds with multiple accounts?

Yes, but 10-15% of the orders will top out and noramlly they "re-open" sales for the hops about a week later or maybe have a really big Black Friday sale.

I don't think so. I got a lb each of Centennial, Citra, Amarillo and Belma. The citra sold out in under 5 mins. When I placed my order it said 160 lb of citra left. By the time I got my order through, it was down to 6 lb. I just don't see how anyone could place multiple orders.

Im such an as$ for not grabbing anything. For here on the east coast thats 8pm, on a friday. Was out with friends enjoying dinner when i realized....!?!?!...oh $h!L HOPSDIRECT. Got on, let me check out with citra amarillo and chinook all in cart. Enter info, CC, Loadingggg......

CITRA, AMARILLO under inventory for quantity ordered... Touché everyone. That **** went FASTTT!

Not possible. Software could filter those sort of limits by address.
Unless they have multiple houses and payed xX in shipping then i guess so

I was refreshing their page literally every 5 minutes or so starting at 8am this morning. Even so, when I saw the listings citra was already sold out. I did get some amarillo, but there were under 20 pounds left when I did. Quantities were limited to 1 pound/order, so even if you had multiple windows open you couldn't practically have ordered more than a few pounds in that time. Were there really many hundreds of homebrewers looking for a pound of citra so obsessively to get them in a span of 3 minutes, or did they only have a very limited supply? Either way it feels almost like an advertising stunt to pretend to have them at all. On the other hand, they've been upfront about not getting any simcoe at all, so I'm inclined to believe it's just a really short supply this year.

I checked the site three times today for Amarillo and Citra. Went to look at 5:15PST and they were sold out....

Such a disappointment. Was waiting all week...ugg.

Congrats to those that got some though.

I was there 2 min after 5:00 PST. There were 3 lbs left. I put one in my cart then clicked checkout. It then said, "there are not enough quantity in stock to complete this order." I was so pissed!

Ah, well. Cheers to those that got 'em!

Same here, reloaded all day at the office and they sold out during my commute home. Will just have to keep looking for Citra.

There are no words to describe how disappointed I am I missed out on the Citra pellets. I have some Galaxy squirreled away in my stash still, which kinda makes me less bitter, and I am still stocked up on Amarillo so meh on that, but jesus h tapdancing christ.

Maybe I'll be grabbing some Belma to try after all.

any chance they will have more available tomorrow, or more likely, next friday? In all reality I should probably just buy 12 oz from williams, the cost is probably worth it so I can instead rdwhahb

While I love Puterbaugh Farms/HD and have ordered many, many lbs of hops from them, this year with the "lottery mentality" has really turned me off. In years past, there was not this frenzy to order hops and you did not have to spend your day on line waiting for the opportunity to order. Curiously they are not offering imported pellet hops such as Nelson, Galaxy, etc. which they have in the past. I'm a big fan of the big 3 (Amarillo, Citra, Simcoe) but I also know that there are many other hops out there such as the Aussie & NZ hops as well as US hops designed to bridge the shortage (7C's, Falconers Flight, etc.) that are great hops in their own right.

I was one of the lucky ones last night and got some Citra and Amarillo, plus some other pellets I've been meaning to grab (yes Belma was one of them). All the hops I got from them last year were fantastic, really fresh, but this year I placed my main order from Labelpeelers. They allowed you to preorder basically unlimited quantities of Citra, Amarillo, Simcoe, you name it (OK I did not test the "unlimited quantities" thing, but I did not see a limit). It will be my first order from them but this is really the way to do it. I can't blame hopsdirect.com for getting the biggest bang for their buck but I don't like the "lottery" system either.

And when Citra came online they only had 160lbs total. It went so fast there is no way you could have ordered twice.

While I love Puterbaugh Farms/HD and have ordered many, many lbs of hops from them, this year with the "lottery mentality" has really turned me off.

The same thing happened last year, I was 4 hours late from when they put their hops for sale and missed out on citra and amarillo. This is nothing new, you just missed out on the popular hops.

While I love Puterbaugh Farms/HD and have ordered many, many lbs of hops from them, this year with the "lottery mentality" has really turned me off. In years past, there was not this frenzy to order hops and you did not have to spend your day on line waiting for the opportunity to order. Curiously they are not offering imported pellet hops such as Nelson, Galaxy, etc. which they have in the past. I'm a big fan of the big 3 (Amarillo, Citra, Simcoe) but I also know that there are many other hops out there such as the Aussie & NZ hops as well as US hops designed to bridge the shortage (7C's, Falconers Flight, etc.) that are great hops in their own right.

Citra was sold out in a matter of hours (not minutes, like this year) last year.

And they will have the imported hops, just keep checking back. Farms have just finished the pelletizing process, so imported varieties will be the last to get over here to the states.

What I noticed, was that the amount of centennial available yesterday went up from the day before. Maybe they will release some more?

I'm pissed I missed out on the Citra. I kept checking the site all day, hit refresh at 8:10 last night and they are sold out.

What I noticed, was that the amount of centennial available yesterday went up from the day before. Maybe they will release some more?

There were more Cascades added last night also, around 4 PM eastern there was roughly 125 pounds and last night I noticed the quantity was around 600 pounds.

I just ordered a lb. each of cascade, chinook, and wgv-uk. Avg. 18 dollars/lb. with shipping. Not bad at all.

I wont' lie.. I love me some of the big guys.. Amarillo is a weakness. I'd stuff my pockets with it to just smell it all day if I could.

But I used some 7C's in a nice sized IPA a few months ago, tossed in some cascade in the mix with it and it was one of the nicer beers I've made. Has all the qualities I love in an IPA. I wouldn't be upset if I had to use it in all my IPAs.

I wont' lie.. I love me some of the big guys.. Amarillo is a weakness. I'd stuff my pockets with it to just smell it all day if I could.

But I used some 7C's in a nice sized IPA a few months ago, tossed in some cascade in the mix with it and it was one of the nicer beers I've made. Has all the qualities I love in an IPA. I wouldn't be upset if I had to use it in all my IPAs.

I too have made some really nice IIPA's using Falconers Flight, 7C's, Zythos, and these hops are readily available and reasonable so we use them quite a bit.

With Mosaic set to come online at least the Citra shortage should ease a bit hopefully.

I recall in years past that Puterbaugh/HD used to send out a "heads up" email that let you know when the hops were going to be available online. I didn't see that this year - maybe I overlooked it. That was how I was able to get in on the big 3 in years past.

Good to hear that the imported hops will be available later on but also a bit strange in that the Aussie/NZ harvest was a while ago I thought. I have been purchasing Nelson, Galaxy, etc. from other places for some time now unless they were 2011 crop.

I too have made some really nice IIPA's using Falconers Flight, 7C's, Zythos, and these hops are readily available and reasonable so we use them quite a bit.

With Mosaic set to come online at least the Citra shortage should ease a bit hopefully.

I recall in years past that Puterbaugh/HD used to send out a "heads up" email that let you know when the hops were going to be available online. I didn't see that this year - maybe I overlooked it. That was how I was able to get in on the big 3 in years past.

Good to hear that the imported hops will be available later on but also a bit strange in that the Aussie/NZ harvest was a while ago I thought. I have been purchasing Nelson, Galaxy, etc. from other places for some time now unless they were 2011 crop.

Is mosaic similar to citra?? I heard it was more simcoe than anything. I'm tempted to get a pound of it.

You might be right about Southern Hemi hops - I didn't factor that into my thoughts. English and Czech, I would assume, should be available shortly.

Is mosaic similar to citra?? I heard it was more simcoe than anything. I'm tempted to get a pound of it.

My recollection was that Mosaic was described as "Citra on steroids" by a hop expert but I could be wrong. From what I remember reading,Mosaic should help with the Citra shortage but that Simcoe will be I short supply until the additional plantings mature enough to increase production.

Nix what I just said about Mosaic. You are correct - it is a Simcoe/Nugget type of hop not Citra. I need to find the article on the article on the Citra sub which has the name of the new hop.

They posted a heads up on their Facebook page. With five minutes to sell out barely anyone ever had a chance...I hope label peelers pulls through wi my pre order.

No EKG this year/yet??

Probably closer to January, no? Seem to recall that's about the time their imported pellets started showing up last year.

Edit: On the plus side, First Gold is available which I've heard great things about. Ordered a lb for experimenting with yesterday.

Meridian + Mosaic

Suddenly I'm excited. Anything else you know about these you can share?

Back