Eggs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't you also hate cheese?!?!? Man, sometimes, it's like I don't even know you!!!! :confused::(

Hmmm, I guess, technically, I don't. :D

Haha- yeah, I hate cheese also unless it's something like aged parmesan in pesto.

To really screw with people, I also hate chocolate. Which is weird, because I love beer (which is bitter) and coffee (which is bitter), but chocolate is a terrible bitter to me. I can't even stand cocoa butter in my lotions because of the chocolate oversmell. It's like this bad bad bitter smell and taste that I just can't stand.

I know lots of women love cheese and chocolate (and eggs), but I just can't manage those foods. I can eat just about anything else- raw conch in the Bahamas, fried grasshoppers in Oaxaca, even baby octopus in a sushi place. But chocolate? {shudder}

The worse thing I can imagine is a breakfast of eggs AND cheese. :drunk:

My favorite is an omelette with smoked salmon, minced onions, green peppers folded over and the top sprinkled with black pepper and parmesan cheese but that is only an occasional meal. The norm is scrambled eggs with fresh bits of bacon and cheddar cheese in the mix.

Haha- yeah, I hate cheese also unless it's something like aged parmesan in pesto.

To really screw with people, I also hate chocolate. Which is weird, because I love beer (which is bitter) and coffee (which is bitter), but chocolate is a terrible bitter to me. I can't even stand cocoa butter in my lotions because of the chocolate oversmell. It's like this bad bad bitter smell and taste that I just can't stand.

I know lots of women love cheese and chocolate (and eggs), but I just can't manage those foods. I can eat just about anything else- raw conch in the Bahamas, fried grasshoppers in Oaxaca, even baby octopus in a sushi place. But chocolate? {shudder}

The worse thing I can imagine is a breakfast of eggs AND cheese. :drunk:

What the...?!?!?

Eggs and cheese go together like, like, well...like peanut butter and chocolate!!!!!

My go-to is a medium omelet with bacon (done in the microwave is best for this, believe it or not), white onion, and red pepper all diced and mixed in with the egg, with some grated medium cheddar folded in the middle (near the end) to melt. Awesome!

My favorite though is eggs benedict, usinh homemade hollandaise sauce with fresh tarragon or ancho pepper powder. Don't enjoy it as much as I'd like, as making hollandaise for one person is a bit ridiculous, especially since it only keeps for a few hours, meaning leftovers are not an option.

And as a kid I always ate mine sunny side up. This REQUIRES toast, since it's all about breaking the yolk and dipping the toast in it. I used to not even touch the white.

And one tip I learned years back: a bit of water (NOT milk) will make scrambled eggs so much fluffier!

Shooter said:
What the...?!?!?

Eggs and cheese go together like, like, well...like peanut butter and chocolate!!!!!

Even better, I'd say. It goes together like cereal and milk. It's damn near essential!

passedpawn said:
Gotta disagree with you there. Milk FTW (and cheddar and white pepper).

I'm not saying that using milk is bad and using water is the best, only that they're different. I'm just saying that water makes them fluffier, if that's what a person wants (which is impossible to disagree with as it's a fact ;)). They very well may still prefer them with milk, but the vast majority of people I've told who've ACTUALLY tried them with a bit of water are converts. I'm only talking about like a ½tsp or so per egg here... very little.

Cheddar though is something I definitely can't argue with! And it's hard to go wrong with ANY kind of pepper, be it black pepper, white pepper, bell pepper, or even (as mentioned in my previous post) ancho (or cayenne) pepper, or some mixture thereof.

The Sunday breakfast neighborhood cookout starts with about 2 pounds of home cured, hickory smoked, thick sliced bacon with the rind on. The eggs floaters in the grease, some soft some hard but real greasy. the hash browns are fried in home rendered lard (pork fat is free at the grocery store). The biscuits are 3 inch round with the choices being flour, corn, or spent grain. we usually have between 6 and 15 neighbors contribute and pig out

Fried over easy.

Next is scrambled with tons of stuff in them. Really, it becomes less about eggs and more about how much stuff I can fry in a pan.

The Sunday breakfast neighborhood cookout starts with about 2 pounds of home cured, hickory smoked, thick sliced bacon with the rind on. The eggs floaters in the grease, some soft some hard but real greasy. the hash browns are fried in home rendered lard (pork fat is free at the grocery store). The biscuits are 3 inch round with the choices being flour, corn, or spent grain. we usually have between 6 and 15 neighbors contribute and pig out

That's really cool.

I hope you have life insurance. ;)

Sunny side up for me, with a fallback of basted or over easy...
I like dipping my toast into the runny yolk. :) Omlettes with lots of meat, cheese & veggies are good too.
So Creamy, you gonna make a chart or at least a list of the styles of eggs & the matching personalities?
Regards, GF.

So many good ways to eat eggs here. I left work without taking my eggs home yesterday, so I had to settle on 3 brown free range eggs, over easy, with a couple of slices of wheat toast as an after work snack. I forgot I had some left over bacon in the fridge until just now. Darn it.

Never had Eggs Benedict. It's on my to do list.

After you've had eggs benedict you can graduate to eggs florentine. If I remember correctly, it was one of the many methods my grandmother had of getting me to eat my spinach.

Last night, AFTER dinner, I had 2 soft boils that admittedly I undercooked, with bacon and toast. Even undercooked, it was like love on a plate. Plus, a soft boil fits PERFECTLY in a port glass.

Sunny side up for me, with a fallback of basted or over easy...
I like dipping my toast into the runny yolk. :) Omlettes with lots of meat, cheese & veggies are good too.
So Creamy, you gonna make a chart or at least a list of the styles of eggs & the matching personalities?
Regards, GF.

Hehe, I have not yet begun to do analysis of the data. I will, however, say with 75% certainty, that you are most likely a firm mattress sleeper.

I like a medium firmness mattress and as for eggs a frittata or omelet.

Firm w/pillow top for me. And a tossup between martinis, mojitos, and margaritas (real ones, not the slushy crap) for favorite cocktail.

CreamyGoodness said:
Last night, AFTER dinner, I had 2 soft boils that admittedly I undercooked, with bacon and toast. Even undercooked, it was like love on a plate. Plus, a soft boil fits PERFECTLY in a port glass.

try the "my perfect egg timer" app.. it's awesome ;)

I know what's at the bottom of my list: grilled eggs in bell peppers. Scrambled eggs cooked in pepper halves. Took twice as long to cook (50 minutes) as the recipe stated and had zero flavor. All I could taste was the cheese on top and the pepper. What a waste!

Firm w/pillow top for me. And a tossup between martinis, mojitos, and margaritas (real ones, not the slushy crap) for favorite cocktail.

Let me see if my Mentalist parlor trick works. From what you say I have the following guesses.

Your wife/girlfriend or significant other prefers a soft mattress, but you have an old injury either from sports or work that requires more support. Since you love her, and since you dont have a heck of a lot of choice, you settled on the pillow top as a compromise.

As for drinks, you didnt like BMC one BIT in college, and instead gravitated toward vodka and fruit juice. After a spring break in Cancun, however, where you had islandy pool-side drinks, you found that you liked them an awful lot more than a simple booze vehicle. Later on in life, you grew to love beer, but GOOD beer, not BMC and definitely not Ice House or Natty.

Also, you are a good swimmer.

Am I even close?

I know what's at the bottom of my list: grilled eggs in bell peppers. Scrambled eggs cooked in pepper halves. Took twice as long to cook (50 minutes) as the recipe stated and had zero flavor. All I could taste was the cheese on top and the pepper. What a waste!

Thats so sad! What if you swapped out the bell pepper for a poblano?

Eggs are similar to beer, I chose which one is right for the moment, and on occasion they both are!

My two favorites are fried, over easy, on a sandwich or folded over goat cheese and spinach in an omelette. I've been hooked on goat cheese omelettes lately!

CreamyGoodness said:
Your wife/girlfriend or significant other prefers a soft mattress, but you have an old injury either from sports or work that requires more support. Since you love her, and since you dont have a heck of a lot of choice, you settled on the pillow top as a compromise.

Nope, I like the pillow top. I like the support of a firm mattress but really found myself loving the pillow top on a vacation I went on. Seems kind of contradictory, I know... but it's different from just a soft mattress, and even without the pillow top I still prefer a firm mattress. I'm very particular about my sleep environment though... in addition to requiring a firm mattress, I absolutely *cannot* be hot, or even warm, when I'm in bed. Hell, I keep my bedroom window open in the winter (and any time it's under 65°F but above 0°F, really), with a fan in front of it to help pull the air in.

CreamyGoodness said:
As for drinks, you didnt like BMC one BIT in college, and instead gravitated toward vodka and fruit juice. After a spring break in Cancun, however, where you had islandy pool-side drinks, you found that you liked them an awful lot more than a simple booze vehicle. Later on in life, you grew to love beer, but GOOD beer, not BMC and definitely not Ice House or Natty.

Pretty much spot-on, except for the later in life part. First beer I ever bought (on my 19th birthday) was a sixer of Unibroue's Trois Pistoles. I was hooked on craft beer since then (I'm only 26 now, though), though I always disliked BMC. I drank a hell of a lot of screwdrivers though!

And I happened to try margaritas and mojitos both when they were the drink of the day (like happy hour for one specific cocktail, but all day) at a resort I stayed at. The taste of the agave with the tart flavor of the lime juice was like a freaking revelation that day.

CreamyGoodness said:
Also, you are a good swimmer.
I'm hardly in shape, but I'm definitely a good swimmer. Exceptional even, when my overall fitness is taken into account. An actual race will kill me - the only acute asthma attack I've ever had was at the end of such a race as a teen - but I've done pretty long distances (miles, to get to an island on one lake), can tread water pretty much indefinitely, and was (still am, maybe?) certified for lifeguarding. As a little kid (~4yo) I literally started out in the next door neighbor's deep end - never needed any floaties, water wings, noodles, etc.

So... pretty close except for the first part ;) Not sure where the swimming bit came from though.

lol fried egg, white must be done and not resemble snot! Jack Daniels is my drink of choice straight up with a beer chaser....
I like my mattress like I like my men hard......

Not sure where the swimming bit came from though.

Elementary my dear Watson. You have found it necessary to give your secret for FLUFFY eggs. Not creamy or custardy, but FLUFFY. This indicates you have spent time either at a country club or at a resort with a spa, as eggs are often served fluffy there. Had you vacationed and stayed at a hotel or a bed and breakfast most often, you would have been served creamy eggs or dense omlettes.

Thus, you have had access to a pool on a regular basis, and are likely to have used it :D

guess away :)

Your preference here isnt really what matters. Your wife runs this particular show. And she likes the mattress so soft that you are basically sucked into it, leaving a edmanster indentation the next morning. You dont mind this too much though, since you have a trick knee. What really bugs you, though, is the flowers and lacey stuff on the comforter. Mrs. Edmanster isnt budging on this one though, and points out that the garage and/or shed, plus maybe a den is dedicated to brewing, projects, and manly vehicles. So it goes.

CreamyGoodness said:
Your preference here isnt really what matters. Your wife runs this particular show. And she likes the mattress so soft that you are basically sucked into it, leaving a edmanster indentation the next morning. You dont mind this too much though, since you have a trick knee. What really bugs you, though, is the flowers and lacey stuff on the comforter. Mrs. Edmanster isnt budging on this one though, and points out that the garage and/or shed, plus maybe a den is dedicated to brewing, projects, and manly vehicles. So it goes.

lol.. spring mattress from classifieds about 6 years ago, no pillow top, most comforters are checkerd or plad tho I think we have one with flowers too. no bum knee but 3 bulged discs L4,L5,S1.. single car garage split entry (1800sq ft) with 4 kids means I don't get a dedicated space.. I do however get a work bench and some shelves for storage of my brew stuff but the garage is full of totes, decorations, bikes etc.. would love a new mattress for sure though :mug:

lol.. spring mattress from classifieds about 6 years ago, no pillow top, most comforters are checkerd or plad tho I think we have one with flowers too. no bum knee but 3 bulged discs L4,L5,S1.. single car garage split entry (1800sq ft) with 4 kids means I don't get a dedicated space.. I do however get a work bench and some shelves for storage of my brew stuff but the garage is full of totes, decorations, bikes etc.. would love a new mattress for sure though :mug:

I dont know, I just read this and I still think I nailed it! :p

I'm bored and have been stuck in the notorious small waiting room at the drs. Go with my goat cheese and spinach omelette. And for some good fodder- I'm a bachelor.

I'm bored and have been stuck in the notorious small waiting room at the drs. Go with my goat cheese and spinach omelette. And for some good fodder- I'm a bachelor.

Ok, I dont have much to go on. We havent talked much and your profile is scanty. So, here goes.

You are not happy with your mattress. You got a great deal on it and it was great... 5-10 years ago. Whatever it was, its now lumpy and ripped underneath (you could hide things in the boxspring if you still had to do so.

Im going to say you would prefer it more firm, because while it isnt SOFT per se, it is irregular and a general pain. You are waking up creaking and cracking and you're sick of it.

Your choice in eggs has 3 rather different elements. A creamy, tart element... an irony, flinty element.... and the egg. If you are making them at home, in a bachelor's kitchen or if you are getting them in a diner upstate (not a diss, I grew up near Newburgh so I know the score here) you are talking cooked custard eggs. Thats 3 textures right there.

I'm going to say if you had your druthers, and could get yourself to drop several C-notes on a new mattress, you would go firm with a pillow top or an egg-crate.

TwoGunz said:

Firm-ish mattress.

Drink wine far more than liquor.

Greatly enjoy prosciutto and lox. Probably balsamic vinegar as well.

Frequent masturbator. At least when you're not taking medication, anyways.

Back