Time for equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jetmech82

Reaction score
I have brewed for a while with friends but always used their equipment. It is time for me to make my own purchase but I'm not sure where to start. I have a turkey fryer with an 8 gallon stock pot, but where should I go from here? Thanks for the help.

build a mash tun. 5 gal igloo cooler works well for most things unless your going "imperial" you need yourself a wort chiller, purchase or make your own. after you got yerself a mash tun and chiller, and your boil kettle, you are good to go so long as you have fermentation vessels. everything else is standard (auto siphon (i recommend the half incher), hydrometer, wine thief, air lock's, etc.)

a buddy of mine and i brew at least once a week and we share the chiller/mash tun. we each have our own everything else

Most of the online kits I found were similar in content and price when I was in the market a couple of months ago. I started pricing out the individual components to build the perfect kit for myself. In the end it was just too much time and effort with minimal gains and I went with an Austin Homebrew Supply kit. I went with the kit that included the glass carboy secondary and have been happy with it. With the exception of their kit, I also bought a temp controller for my fermentation fridge, some extra sanitizer, and a blow-off tube ( I already had a big old pot like you do) and was good to go, with no hassle.

As the Reverend said above, there is certain Standard Equipment that is going to come with all of them. Beyond that, it's basically slight differences in the number and material of your fermenters. If you go with one of the popular online shops (or your LHBS can put something together) I am sure you'll be happy with what you get.

Back