Unmalted Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ketchepillar

Reaction score
So you are supposed to use unmalted wheat in your lambics eh? What are you guys using? Flaked Wheat? Torrified Wheat? Can I use hard red winter wheat berries? If so, I guess I'd just have to make sure I ground them well to make sure enzymes had good enough access to the starch? What percentages are you guys using in your grain bills?

What sort of mash are you doing? If you are doing an infusion you need wheat that has already been gelatinized (flaked torrified). If you want to use wheat berries you need to do a cereal or turbid mash. I did my first turbid mash a few months back, it wasn't nearly as hard/long as I assumed it would be (sadly it will be a few years before i know if that extra effort was worth it).

Aaaah, yes I forgot about that difference of gelatinization temp. That would be why people use the flaked stuff-gelatinizes between the rollers. Maybe I'll try a turbid mash, but that would be the bane of sour brewer, waiting an eternity to know if it's worth it. Does anyone know what mashing process/ingredients Russian River, Lost Abbey, use?

Back