Old Wine Kit, How Old is too Old?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DickRitz

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a wine kit that I suspect is from 2006 or 2007. The yeast expiration was 10-2008. It's an original series selection Merlot kit.

Has anyone ever tried anything this old? The box was sealed, but I have no idea what the overall storage conditions were.

Obviously new yeast, but is it even worth the effort/wait?

Thanks

If the cost of the new yeast is the only cost, then it is worth the effort to try it.
What type of kit is it?
White or Red?
Manufacturer and Varietal?

Tom

DickRitz said:
Hi All,

I have a wine kit that I suspect is from 2006 or 2007. The yeast expiration was 10-2008. It's an original series selection Merlot kit.

Has anyone ever tried anything this old? The box was sealed, but I have no idea what the overall storage conditions were.

Obviously new yeast, but is it even worth the effort/wait?

Thanks

Try it. You have only fresh yeast to loose! If it taste or smells nasty when you open it it may be worth dumping it. Otherwise give it a try.

Yes, definitely worth trying. I've done kits that were 'out of date' before and not had a bad result. As long as the seal on the juice was good, you probally will make a good wine. New yeast, maybe new oak or sulfites...

I opened the juice bag and it smelled and tasted fairly rank. Almost like a combination of varnished and burnt. Also, the folks that made the wine expert kit told me it was too old, so I tossed it. Just glad I didn't pay anything for it.

Back