Citrus Sunflower Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BocksBeer

Reaction score
We Did It!

Sunflower seed beer! With a bit of other ingredients.... I still can't believe this worked. After months upon months of failure we now have our first Citrus Sunflower beer.

This has been a very difficult brew consisting of sunflower seeds and citrus. We are totally stoked about bringing this to the market. We did not believe this was going to happen. I actually went into the fermenting room to dump - yet another batch - and it Blouped! Yes, blouped! Just as I was ready to dump it.

There has been a large amount of controversy around using sunflowers but I really believe we have achieved this. We are looking for experimental gluten-free beer (for really no reason at all) but I believe it's a niche market to tap into.

What are your thoughts?

Williamsburg Brewing Company
Williamsburg, Ohio

Don't the seeds have oil in them? How does that affect the beer/brewing process?

Have you tried pistachio nuts? That sounds good.

The oil has been the issue but the key is not to completely crush the seeds and to use only those from your home garden - nothing bought in a store.

We're all about experimenting and pistachio nuts is a brilliant idea. It could be a Christmas thing. You have all kinds of Christmas ales so why not go a little 'nutty'? Right?!

Sounds weird. I like it! So, is this 100% sunflower seed? Interesting to know what this will taste like. I heard CMC was malting sunflower seeds for someone. Is this you or is someone else doing it as well?

Back