Home grown pomegranate wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jabeowulf23

Reaction score
Hey everyone recently I had harvested my pomegranates and juiced em. Usually I just sip the juice or freeze but this year I decided trying to make some wine from it.. The juice was really sweet and I thought it would make an interesting wine.. I used a simple recipe (basically jail wine) because it was my first try at winemaking and I couldnt find any good recipes. Heres what I did:
24 oz pom juice
3 1/2 cups sugar
1 packet supermarket fleishmann's yeast
Sping water
I made a gallon with this recipe and it's been about 3 weeks now. How long should I wait to rack/bottle?

fleishmann's yeast has a really bad flocculation rate. Basically the yest does not clump together and fall out of suspension easily. If you have a hydrometer then you can use that to measure the gravity of the liquid and once the gravity stops dropping indicating all fermentation has stopped. Throw the wine into the fridge. Let that sit for another two weeks in the cold which will help the yeast fall to the bottom. After the two weeks siphon to a new container. You can let that sit another two weeks in the fridge and repeat the process untill you see no more yeast collecting at the bottom. Feel free to bottle/sample/age drone there.

Oh and if you want a good recipe for wine google search "jack Keller (insert fruit/spice/herb name) wine". Mr. Keller has a recipe for most everything it seems.

Jabeowulf23 said:
Okay awesome thanks! Im wondering how itl taste.. Cant wait lol

Taste it! Clean and Sanitize a straw, a turkey baster, a spoon...and taste it. This is how you learn so many things, and learn the change in sweetness as yeastie beasties convert sugar to alcohol and CO2. Keep in mind this is raw, young, bread yeast wine....so you may find you will like it with some sweetness left. If you like what you taste, do what Arpolis says about refrigerating and serial racking. It will still ferment in refrig, but quite slowly. Keep us posted.

You know in colonial days they actually spread lard, butter or jelly on a toasted heel of wheat bread, and that was the yeast starter.

Hmm.. Very interesting.. Thanks for the help guys.. You know this is actually a very fun and "constructive" hobby..

I tasted it today. Its very dry and the co2 production seems to have stopped completely.. So I moved it to the shed outside where its cold and gonna rack it next week. But is there any way I can make it sweeter or is it too late? Would adding more sugar after I rack it do anything?

Sill new at this myself, but from what I know is that if you add more sugar you could reactivate the yeast. You could use potassium sorbate to kill the yeast and then add sugar. From what i know you can also use splenda. I dont know if there is another way. Again, im new at this myself. Hope it helped.

Stabilizing and back sweetening is the way to go for this. Potassium sorbate does not kill yeast but rather prevent further reproduction. However potassium sorbate does not alway work so you should also add potassium metabisulfate (Camden tablets crushed). The sorbate will have a better chance of working with the sulfate there.

Well I racked it today. I noticed that after racking it smelled and tasted alot better than before.. Or maybe its just me.. Anyway I dont even think I need to get it any sweeter. Im gonna let it sit for another week then rack it again. And maybe 1 or 2 more times after that.. Then bottle it and let it age.

Back