Please review my imp Stout recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenb

Reaction score
I have done many AG batches including many Stouts..but this is my first Imp Stout recipe...I am using Nugget hops for flavoring harvested from my friend's garden about a month ago. I am shooting for a tasty chewy Imp Stout with lots of coffee/chocolate flavor but without adding any actual coffee or chocolate...
Please post any opinions on what this should come out like, or any tweaks you may want to suggest?

Brew Type: All Grain
Style: Russian Imperial Stout
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Volume: 6.41 gal Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 56.00 % Equipment: Brew Pot (7.5 gal) and Cooler (48 qt)

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.00 lb Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 7.84 %
17.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 66.67 %
3.00 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 11.76 %
1.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 5.88 %
1.00 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 3.92 %
0.50 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 1.96 %
0.50 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 1.96 %
1.00 oz Simcoe [11.50 %] (30 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 24.4 IBU
2.00 oz Nugget [9.00 %] (20 min) Hops 30.4 IBU
1.00 oz Nugget - Dave's [9.00 %] (5 min) Hops 4.5 IBU
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
2 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.091 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.021 SG
Estimated Color: 67.0
Bitterness: 59.4 IBU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 9.11 %

Mash Profile Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Mash Tun Weight: 9.00 lb
Mash Grain Weight: 25.00 lb Mash PH: 5.4 PH
Grain Temperature: 72.0 F Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F
Sparge Water: 1.85 gal Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 31.25 qt of water at 169.3 F 154.0 F 60 min

Ó Flannagáin said:
Probably too much roasted. Also, why do you need the rice hulls?
~10% is actually a good number for a stout. I'd probably ditch the victory myself, with all that roasted and with black patent it's pretty unlikely you'll actually taste it. Just up your base malt a bit.

+1 about the rice hulls, there will be tons of husk with all that grain, I doubt there would be a lautering problem.

bradsul said:
~10% is actually a good number for a stout. I'd probably ditch the victory myself, with all that roasted and with black patent it's pretty unlikely you'll actually taste it. Just up your base malt a bit.

+1 about the rice hulls, there will be tons of husk with all that grain, I doubt there would be a lautering problem.

I have problems with stuck sparges whenever i use over 20lbs of grains....and this comes out to about 23...so did not want to risk it..

kenb said:
I have problems with stuck sparges whenever i use over 20lbs of grains....and this comes out to about 23...so did not want to risk it..
Fair enough, you know your system better than we do. :)

Out of curiosity what do you use for lautering? Stainless braid, manifold, false bottom? I plan to do a barleywine soon and you have me wondering about my copper manifold. I've not had problems with even 70/30 wheat/barley hefeweizens but I've never done a grain bill that large.

bradsul said:
Fair enough, you know your system better than we do. :)

Out of curiosity what do you use for lautering? Stainless braid, manifold, false bottom? I plan to do a barleywine soon and you have me wondering about my copper manifold. I've not had problems with even 70/30 wheat/barley hefeweizens but I've never done a grain bill that large.

I use a converted igloo cooler for my mash/lauter tun with a dual pvc manifold. I have had stuck mashes and stuck sparges, usually when trying to make big beers...rice hulls seem to be the only thing that helps...

If anything, I'd bump up the bittering hops a bit (maybe add another oz of high alpha) and also add more yeast. Other than that, it looks good.

Back