I've got WLP099

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir Humpsalot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This is a Super High Gravity Ale Yeast. Forget the original question. What I want to know now is....

After considering the issue, I think I will split the vial of yeast in two. They will be added to starters. The first starter will be used to brew the barleywine. The second will be used to brew two batches of something else. Upon completing the second batch, there should be a ton of yeast and I will rack the original barleywine over this yeast cake along with additional fermentables. Hopefully the triple shot of yeast along with a stepped fermentation will allow me to push the ABV up over 17%. What do you guys think?

Autolysis is only a problem if the yeast doesn't have fermentables, correct?

The original post is as follows, the new question begins on page two...

And about 15 pounds of Optic Pale Malt

And a bunch of Belgian Aromatic... maybe throw in 2 pounds?

What else? Hrmmmmm.........

That was the original question.... just fishing for ideas...

LOL! I knew I was forgetting something!!!!!!!! :cross:

Nah... this is gonna be a british style barleywine. Maybe shoot for something in the 17%ABV range? Yes, I'm thinking a multiple step fermentation. Hops will be considered.. in due time. Malts first. What do you think? Optic? Or buy something else?

Ive never used Optic malt, and I dont know what it adds. I am partial to Marris Otter in British ales.

More malt! Lots more! How big is your mash tun?!:D

I've never used Optic, but IIRC, it is a more subtle and paler grain that allows other flavors (or is that flavours?) to come through. So, you might want to add some other grains.

Got any 'Cara' malts? British crystal? Maybe some rye or oats? Or is that straying too far from the British style you want?

I'd shoot for 22 lbs. of malt or more, but that's just me!

Dare I contemplate a barley honey wine?

Add a few pounds of Honey, maybe about five pounds of Honey Malt?

Honey would make a great 2nd addition to toss into the fermenter a week or so after primary has begun... Keep the yeasties bouncing merrily along.. then throw in some LME at the end (of course, each would be slightly diluted and sterilized with water to encourage mixing)

Oh dear me! I think I'm going insane!!!!

Rhoobarb said:
More malt! Lots more! How big is your mash tun?!:D

I've never used Optic, but IIRC, it is a more subtle and paler grain that allows other flavors (or is that flavours?) to come through. So, you might want to add some other grains.

Got any 'Cara' malts? British crystal? Maybe some rye or oats? Or is that straying too far from the British style you want?

I'd shoot for 22 lbs. of malt or more, but that's just me!

I like the way you think!

Style shmyle! Let's make something crrrrazy!!!!!

After considering the issue, I think I will split the vial of yeast in two. They will be added to starters. The first starter will be used to brew the barleywine. The second will be used to brew two batches of something else. Upon completing the second batch, there should be a ton of yeast and I will rack the original barleywine over this yeast cake along with additional fermentables. Hopefully the triple shot of yeast along with a stepped fermentation will allow me to push the ABV up over 17%. What do you guys think?

Autolysis is only a problem if the yeast doesn't have fermentables, correct?

Evan! said:
where'd you get the 099?

LHBS. I called and the guy said he didn't have it. I walked in with a sampler of my Special Orange Bitter, and he managed to find a vial in the back. I don't think it's really hard to find or anything though... is it?

Evan! said:
I've just never looked before. I've achieved 12.5% on barleywines using Nottingham and Pacman.

Details please? Where did the Nottingham stall out? Final Gravity? Fermentation troubles? Why the double strains? I would think Pacman would chew right through 12.5% with minimal trouble...

Latest posts

Back