Belgian Dubbel Simple dubbel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amc22

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
wlp530
Yeast Starter
Used 1.5l, check yeast calculator
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
18.4 srm
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
3 weeks at 70
Tasting Notes
See end of post.
Recipe calculated for 80% efficiency which I hit almost dead on.

10lbs Castle pale ale malt
1lbs Belgian candi syrup d-180

.5oz Northern brewer(9.60%) 60 minutes
.5oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker (2.6%) 30 minutes
.25oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker (2.6%) 5 minutes

1.25 qts/lb of grain at 155*, mashed 1 hour and batched sparged to reach a boil volume of 6.85 gallons. Fermented at 70* for 3 weeks with wlp530 then bottled at 2.5 volumes.

Nice dark reddish color, light tan head. Aroma has a subtle hoppyness, slightly spicy and fruity. Taste follows the nose for the most part, with some added chocolate/coffee tones from the D-180 syrup. Mouth-feel is perfect for the style in my opinion, medium-light, which makes it very drinkable just like authentic Trappist versions. If I was going to change anything the next time I brew this, I would add 4oz of special B to up the fruitiness a little.

Picture makes it looker darker than it really is.

Looks like an awesome sMasH type recipe for a yeast test, very simple. I might use this for my belgian yeast test recipe.

Cool, be sure to post back when its done and let me know how it worked out for you. I have a few bombers left from the original batch that are almost a year old at this point, and they have aged well.

I'll be doing this as well. IMHO Belgians recipes should be very simple, relying on the yeast and fermentation for flavour depth. I will be adding the Special B, and doing a decoction as well for a bit of flavour depth.

I just bottled this after 1 week in primary, 1 week in secondary. I ended up using U.S. Pale 2-row instead of Castle, and D-160 candi syrup instead of d-180. I did BIAB and my efficiency was pretty poor (56 %) probably because I did not squeeze the grain bag. And I boiled about 25 minutes longer. I ended up with 4 gallons of wort to compensate for my poor efficiency, but this came out with an OG of 1.060, which was pretty spot on. At bottling, I ended up with about 1.010 FG, so I should end up with a 7.7 % ABV beer. I was quite pleased with the taste of the sample, which was caramely and sweet. It's a big beer so it makes you feel warm inside. Perfect for fall, as it's cooling down outside.

I'm amazed this was so easy and yet so tasty. I think I'll make another. Thanks for the recipe!

I just bottled this after 1 week in primary, 1 week in secondary. I ended up using U.S. Pale 2-row instead of Castle, and D-160 candi syrup instead of d-180. I did BIAB and my efficiency was pretty poor (56 %) probably because I did not squeeze the grain bag. And I boiled about 25 minutes longer. I ended up with 4 gallons of wort to compensate for my poor efficiency, but this came out with an OG of 1.060, which was pretty spot on. At bottling, I ended up with about 1.010 FG, so I should end up with a 7.7 % ABV beer. I was quite pleased with the taste of the sample, which was caramely and sweet. It's a big beer so it makes you feel warm inside. Perfect for fall, as it's cooling down outside.

I'm amazed this was so easy and yet so tasty. I think I'll make another. Thanks for the recipe!

About time to open a bottle.... pour it up and take a picture eh?! :)

Just ordered my grains for this! Hope to brew within a couple of weeks.

Just had my first glass. I'm in no position to give this a fair judgement atm. ;) However, I do enjoy it. Seems way darker than bjcp guidelines though.

Thanks for the recipe.

Just posting back, I did this recipe and added 8 oz special b. overall it's good, however the 180 syrup I too dark for the style, and the beer is a bit too sweet, even though the FG finished out nice and low.

Next time I will cut the special B to 4 oz and use the D90 syrup instead.

I also found the 530 yeast low in Banana/Clove phenols. Ill try fermenting warmer too to kick them up a bit. This past batch fermented at 19, ill try closer to 21.

i followed this recipe to the T. Started with a Gravity of 057 The sample I took today finished out at.010, tastes great if not a little hoppy for my taste. I am very happy however since it is my first brew ever let alone all grain. Thank you all, for all the posts that gave me the confidence to go directly to all grain and to have the knowledge to get it right.

Good to see such a nice, simple grain bill with the candi syrups. I am going to try the D90 in my recipe. Also nice to see you had a decent tasting beer without all of the ramping up of temps. Will try to remember to report back.

I did this recipe and used some home made made candy sugar (burnt) I ended up having an extra gallon or running's. I took the extra gallon and used the dregs of a Orvel. It was a rocket fermentation at around 70-80 degrees in a spare bedroom, was 1.01 in less than a week and a half. I bottled to 3.0 volumes and put it in my beer storage closet for around a month. Just tested and even though this beer makes my 3rd homebrew ever, I am thinking of entering a contest I think this may be the best beer I have tasted. It was smooth and the mouth feel was amazing. I am sure the rest of it will speak to me every time I look into it to see what I want to add to the fridge.

So my LHBS didn't have wlp 530 and I grabbed wlp550, also they don't carry Castle grains so I got Dingemans. Anyone know how it will turn out with the Wlp550?

I'll be doing this as well. IMHO Belgians recipes should be very simple, relying on the yeast and fermentation for flavour depth. I will be adding the Special B, and doing a decoction as well for a bit of flavour depth.

I agree. Simple is the best practice. This recipe is very nice. I just cracked open my recent Belgian I made and it is delightful. I must say that I think Special B is a very integral part of bringing out that Belgian fruit flavors. I would also recommend it as an addition to any Belgian dark ale.

So my LHBS didn't have wlp 530 and I grabbed wlp550, also they don't carry Castle grains so I got Dingemans. Anyone know how it will turn out with the Wlp550?

I made a Belgian Abby ale with 550 and it was great. Actually I was quite disappointed with the lack of character from my recent batch with 530, so I think you'll be ok here. 550 had more clove banana flavour.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I made a Belgian Abby ale with 550 and it was great. Actually I was quite disappointed with the lack of character from my recent batch with 530, so I think you'll be ok here. 550 had more clove banana flavour.

Alright, thank you.
I was considering adding the 4oz Special B mentioned previously. Do you guys think this would work with the 550 as well? I've never used it before.

Special b is great. It adds a lot of sweetness and raisin/fig flavor.
I used it and my dubble came out a bit too sweet, so use it sparingly.

So I was playing with my water profile for the first time, and I must have made a mistake because my mash effeciency took a major dive. I can usually hit 80%, but only hit 63% this time. Og was 1.056. It'll still be (hopefully tasty) beer, but I'm slightly disappointed to be this low.

just made this a couple weeks ago. ended up a lil more liquid than I'd like (gal.. still dialing in boil off with new burner), but looks and smells great. Will chime in when I have something drinkable / worth sharing.

-JT

Back