7 day hydro reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HessenHelles

Reaction score
Hello.

I just took a hydrometer reading from my primary at 7 days, it was 1.011

7 days ago I took out a sample just before I pitched and put the lid on. Well, i didn't have quite enough to get an accurate reading, and didn't want to open primary after I pitched the yeast.

So my question is. Will I be able to know the alcohol level of this brew?

Thanks

HH

You can plug your info into online brew calculators (i.e. Grain types, wieght, brew house efficiency, temps, etc.) And see what your poss starting gravity was. Extract and all grain could have different results.

Hello.

I just took a hydrometer reading from my primary at 7 days, it was 1.011

7 days ago I took out a sample just before I pitched and put the lid on. Well, i didn't have quite enough to get an accurate reading, and didn't want to open primary after I pitched the yeast.

So my question is. Will I be able to know the alcohol level of this brew?

Thanks

HH

If you can get an accurate OG reading then yes. Or just use the recipes OG prediction if you're confident you boiled and added water correctly.

If this was an extract batch, your recipe's anticipated OG will be close enough to your actual OG, assuming you got the volumes correct. A known amount of extract dissolved in a known volume of water will yield a known gravity.

So...use your recipe OG and use the following formula:

ABV % = (OG - FG) x 131

Perfect!!!!

This is an extract batch. I found a calculator online to find the OG.

Thanks for the help!

Dont bother taking a reading until 3 weeks. Also remember, when you prime for bottling, it adds another 1% abv.

dannylerch said:
Dont bother taking a reading until 3 weeks. Also remember, when you prime for bottling, it adds another 1% abv.

Bottling won't add another 1%...maybe a few tenths of a percent at most.

Back