Coriander/Orange Peel Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hops4life

Reaction score
I am planning on brewing a White/Wheat IPA sometime this weekend. Ingredients from Austin Homebrew should be here later today, but i'll likely brew sat night or sunday.

My question basically is i'm doing a 5G batch, probably 3.5G boil. It's an extract or mini-mash with some LME ontop of base/special grains and some oats for a little mouth feel. I'm planning on adding in coriander & orange peel as the "basic" flavors in a regular wheat beer. Planning on using them as 30 min additions.

But admitedly i'm virtually clueless as to the amount to use? For reference i'm shooting for the white base, and then using Centenial, Warrior, and Summit to create the IPA style hop profile.

If anyone has done a similar batch or can point me to a recipe (which is where i'll go surfing for next..) I'd much appreciate the input.

Thanks.

I have used both in various beers. Coriander is quite powerful stuff and adds a lot of citrus flavor, I will typically use 1tsp and add at the 10 minute mark. For oranges if you want a lot of that flavor then I would suggest the rind of 2 oranges but add them at flame out to retain the most flavor/aroma.

The rind should be peeled thin, no pith or you'll get bitter and at flame out there is no need to sanitize as the wort is still hot enough.

Cheers!

Sounds like you are brewing a combo wit and IPA. That is a lot going on. At any rate I typically use 1/2 oz. of coriander crushed, and a 1/2 oz. of orange peel in the boil with 5 minutes left. The coriander is works really well right there. The orange is there but subtle and you can increase the flavor with a few more minutes of boiling. There is really no need to boil either coriander or orange peel for 30 minutes.

I've been in a coriander phaze for the last several brews that we have done, I've tried crushed, whole and powder.

I am making a wheat beer tonight with that I add .5 oz chuched at 10 minutes left in the boil.

When I do a Siason I'll add 1oz whole in primary fermentation then it comes out when I switch to secondary fermentation. You'll see the whole "corns" floating at the top in the carboy.

duboman is correct, a little dab will do ya depending on what beer your making it can overpower the beer.

Brewmaster you nailed it on the head. I'm basically taking a Wit malt/grain base and then infusing it with a IPA hop profile. I've seen a few of these around saranac does one that's "OK", but i'm going for bigger hop flavor.

Thanks all for the input, I'll move the additions later in the boil. I hadn't decided if i was going to grind/crush the coriander or use it whole...

As a point of reference the Blue Moon Clone uses:
"Try1.25 tsp of ground corriander added to the kettle 10 minutes before the end of boil. This is for a 5-6 gallon batch.
Add 0.33tsp of ground Valencia orange peel 5 minutes before the end of boil."

Link to thread Wayne1

If you don't want the orange rind, wouldn't it be better to zest the orange instead of cutting off the rind?

ludomonster said:
If you don't want the orange rind, wouldn't it be better to zest the orange instead of cutting off the rind?

Ooops! Actually meant to say the zest, Doh!

My plan was to Zest/grate the orange peel..

thanks for the reference JerseyJoe. That looks like about what I've settled on after the great advice from everyone.

Thanks guys, I'll try and post some OG/FG and stuff once i brew, maybe a couple pics if i can.

I posted a link to the recipe on brewcalculus a couple of days ago but it's gotten tweaked a little since that I think.

for my blue moon clone I use .5oz crushed coriander and .5oz sweet orange peal, I did a 15 min addition and it worked but was a little too bitter, so I adjusted to a 2 min boil and let it leach the flavors after flame out during chilling, It worked great

oh DONT zest an orange peal into the fermenter, I did that also and it was WAYYY to tart, the orange flavor really took over and was almost unpleasant

I zest 4 oranges per 5g batch (actually use a potato peeler and stop before pith) and put them in with ~10-15m remaining in BOIL.

Back