Wife knocked off the air lock...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerens

Reaction score
My wife while "cleaning" the basement knocked off the airlock off my four month old scotch ale. I noticed it approximately 24 hours later and replaced it. I kegged the beer 4 hours later. That was four days ago. I am drinking a pint now and it tastes clean to me. Any idea how long it will take for evidence of an infection to show up. I was planning on bottling this beer and I don't want to if it is infected.

Thanks and Cheers!

You should know if the beer's infected before the divorce is finalized.

I'd be absolutely shocked if anything bad happened, particularly since you now presumably have the beer cold (limiting the risk of any foreign yeast doing any damage).

More than likely your beer is perfectly fine. The off gassing from fermentation is heavier than air so it would push any normal air out (hence the need for an airlock and all the bubbles) and form a protective layer over your beer.

So basically as long as she didn't connect the vacuum or anything else crazy to your fermenter to stir up the air mixture and induce fresh air, your beer will be perfectly fine.

Why was she down there? There's no kitchen in the basement!
::jokes::
You're fine, if it's chilled now.

This seems very similar to that scene in A Christmas Story when the wife "accidentally" knocks the leg lamp over and broke it.

I suspect foul play.

Wives: Taking the fun out of sh$t since time began.

I just brewed my first batch ever (Hef.Wit) and didn't but any liquid in the airlock for the entire fermentation process (rook move...I know). I've been drinking it for a few days now and haven't noticed anything other than profuse night sweats and violent tremors. But what am I gonna do, throw away beer? You should be fine.

I just brewed my first batch ever (Hef.Wit) and didn't but any liquid in the airlock for the entire fermentation process (rook move...I know). I've been drinking it for a few days now and haven't noticed anything other than profuse night sweats and violent tremors. But what am I gonna do, throw away beer? You should be fine.

It's probably not from the beer, but from the horrors of Aggie football! :p

I think you should get a little payback by jamming your airlock into her grommet...repeatedly & hard. That oughtta learn her...:ban:

You should know if the beer's infected before the divorce is finalized.

I'd be absolutely shocked if anything bad happened, particularly since you now presumably have the beer cold (limiting the risk of any foreign yeast doing any damage).

Lmao, that made my day.

Back