DIY Filter with videos

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrZ2U

Reaction score
There are a few threads like this floating around but I took some video of my filter in use to visually address some of the concerns folks have about using these.

The concerns I hear most often are sanitization, oxidation and waste. Hopefully these videos will aleve those concerns on all those fronts. This is just how I do it and by no means do I imply it’s the best way. This is just how I do it!

First, how I sanitize and purge ambient air with Co2.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvyygFciSp8]Starsan and Co2 - YouTube[/ame]

Now lets filter some beer…

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEuawC_5O-k]filtering beer - YouTube[/ame]

…and we finish up and show you how little beer we “waste” Sorry for the out of frame...I am director, photographer and star of this film :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXQvaps1qWk]Finishing up - YouTube[/ame]

Now go order up your gear and if any of you are local to the Austin area hit me up and we can split shipping…I need to order some filter elements :)

This is a 30 micron filter so its just to pull out any trub and the bulky yeast. I am out of the 1 micron filters so I cannot show the good scrubbing it does. I will try to remember to do that next time.

Just take it apart and flush with water...pretty simple really. That filter I just used I will back flush and rinse till it does not smell of beer. I use it about 3 to 5 times. The 1 and 5 micron ones I just toss.

What psi do you use per micron of filter, We tried a 5 micron and it clogger pretty fast.

I really dont pay attention to pressure per say. I transfer between 15 and 20 PSI. I should point out that I primary, then secondary, then filter to serving. There is not a ton of crud to filter. Worst is on those occasions where I dry hop in secondary but even then I dont recall any issues with clogs.

Tell us about the filter. Is it a converted H20 filter or is it one that was "made" to filter beer. Where did you get it, what kind of connections etc. Thanks for the Video and sharing.

its just a plain old water filter housing. Got the idea from another thread https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/diy-2-stage-single-pass-beer-clarity-filter-cheap-261897/ . Lots of sources via ebay and the like....that other thread has a good one or two. Watch out for the port size...you don’t want 3/4 in cause you will have to get step down fittings to get to a small enough barbed fitting. 1/4 is ideal. From there I just put two 90deg barbed fittings and the lines to the ball locks.

Shipping can be a bit much on these and a bulk of elements. Go in with a friend or to and take advantage of the quantity breaks and shipping split! Home Depot/Lowes and/or your local brew shop for all the other fittings easy!

It's a standard home water filter. Home Depot or Lowes should have one very similar if not exactly like it.

I really like this idea and I will definately be using it once I get my kegerator built. Thanks for the info and vids

It's a standard home water filter. Home Depot or Lowes should have one very similar if not exactly like it.

The only one either had on their websites or locally here in Austin were 3/4 inch or larger and finding one with a clear can was unsuccessful.

Ebay was far and away the best price. You will have a very tough time finding the wound filters at 5 or 1 micron and especially for internet pricing so might as well get the housing from the same place since that too is the best price to be had...at least around here!

FWIW, MoreBeer also has these with the clear housing and 3/8 ID tubing connected. If you're already ordering, you could toss this in.

FWIW, MoreBeer also has these with the clear housing and 3/8 ID tubing connected. If you're already ordering, you could toss this in.

There is also one company that makes it with the ball lock fittings and all but the point of DIY beyond the pleasure of DIY itself it that you can do it for a good deal less $$$...which can be used for more beer :)

Hello wondering if you have ever used this for after boil trub? Any suggestions I am clogging my plate chiller...

cd

Thanks for sharing your videos.

How clear is the beer after filtering? Does it only remove the yeast and sediment or the beer cloud free?

Thanks for your assistance and advice.

Back