Too Many Kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sasky7777

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a problem. Too many kegs, well actually I don't know if that problem can really exist, but I have some extras and wanted to get some ideas from the group.

I have 9 corny kegs. I plan on fermenting in two, serving beer in 5, and pop/soda water and rum and coke in the other two.

I have 4 sankey kegs, and am planning on building a Kal Clone.

So I think I can find a use for all the corny kegs, as someone once told me you can't have too many, but what would be a good use for the 4th sankey keg?

4th sankey could be:

*fermentor for 12 gallon batches
*Additional kettle so once your done sparging the first batch of the day you can start the second.
*barter goods to get some other piece of brewing equipment.

Never too many kegs. I would ferment in it, dont modify it too much. Then you have the opportunity to serve beer in it if the need ever arises (parties, weddings, etc where sankey setups are easier to hook up).

I suppose you are going to whine and complain of too many 1000 dollar bills lying around as well? ;)

I don't think it's a problem either. But God what a great idea to serve rum and coke from one of your kegs! I never thought of having whiskey/coke on tap!!! How do you get your mixture right?!:mug:

I don't think it's a problem either. But God what a great idea to serve rum and coke from one of your kegs! I never thought of having whiskey/coke on tap!!! How do you get your mixture right?!:mug:

I'm not sure, I haven't tried it yet, but there are guys on the Soda Forum talking about it. I guess just ramp it up with some simple math.

So I guess I am hearing that I should use it to serve or ferment, and not chop it up into anything. I am surprised no one suggested a BBQ or flux capacitor or something a long those lines. :D

One problem with the whiskey and coke set up is that whiskey and high proof alcohols leeches stuff from the plastic beer lines.

This is probably why you never see bars with pre-mixed whiskey coke on tap.

If I were you I would just do Coke and have a nice "speed-rail" full of all the hard liquors by your kegerator :mug:

One problem with the whiskey and coke set up is that whiskey and high proof alcohols leeches stuff from the plastic beer lines.

This is probably why you never see bars with pre-mixed whiskey coke on tap.

If I were you I would just do Coke and have a nice "speed-rail" full of all the hard liquors by your kegerator :mug:

Good point. I wonder if the barrier tubing would work?

Back