Can you Brew It recipe for Magic Hat number 9

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricCSU

Reaction score
All recipes are 6 gallons post-boil (6 gallons post boil > 5.5 gallons in the fermenter > 5 gallons in bottling bucket/keg), 70% efficiency, Morey for color, 15% evaporation, Rager IBU, and most hops are in grams not ounces. Most, if not all recipes are primary only (no secondary).

If you haved brew this, please reply with your results and discussion.

OG 1045
FG 1011
21 IBUs
SRM 6

90 minute boil

9.92 lbs Marris Otter
0.20 lbs crystal 80

0.25 oz columbus at 60min
14g cascade at 30min

Mash at 152 for 45 min
Mash out at 165 for 15min
Sparge at 170 for 45min

WLP002

Ferment at 68F

110ppm Ca for water used

Tasty reported that he used quite a bit of apricot extract. He took out 2 ounces of finished carbed beer and added drops of extract until he could smell the slight aroma of apricot. Then extrapolate that number over the keg. He also recommends doing this side by side with the commercial example.

Tasty used 63 drops per 12 oz bottle. This is 5oz in a keg. Start with a low amount and work your way up. Jamil noted that he would probably add half of what the recipe recommended and then work his way up. [Editor's note: You can always add extract, but it is tougher to take it out!]

Jamil said that perhaps using a 60 minute boil may help the color as the clone was slightly darker.

I am planning to brew this simple brew in a few weeks. However, I plan to use WLP007 in place of WLP002. I think you will have a hard time getting your F.G. to 1.011 from 1.045 with WLP002. WLP007 should hit it right on the head. Also, do not forget the apricot extract...

I am planning to brew this simple brew in a few weeks. However, I plan to use WLP007 in place of WLP002. I think you will have a hard time getting your F.G. to 1.011 from 1.045 with WLP002. WLP007 should hit it right on the head. Also, do not forget the apricot extract...

Huh? You realize EricCSU is posting these from the Brewing Network's Can You Brew It? show, right? These are real recipes straight and tested from the brewers themselves. (Thanks loads for doing this, BTW Eric - you kick serious ass.)

Oh, and where in the world did you come up with apricot extract?

This recipe does need extract. I posted on accident before and I left for a call (I am a paramedic) and have not found the instructions for flavoring yet. Stay tuned.

Eric

Then I need my hearing (or memory) checked! I listened to that episode and don't recall anything about apricot extract...

Huh? You realize EricCSU is posting these from the Brewing Network's Can You Brew It? show, right? These are real recipes straight and tested from the brewers themselves. (Thanks loads for doing this, BTW Eric - you kick serious ass.)

Oh, and where in the world did you come up with apricot extract?

I will take the high road and not respond to your post.

Recipe now updated to include flavoring extract. Jamil and Tasty begin to discuss this right around 56:45.

Eric

About to do this for the girlfriend, but for some reason I wanted to use dried apricots. I was reading an old recipe here and they used 3lbs of puree

I am on my second batch of this (2.5 gallon batches) and used 2 ox of apricot extract. it went in the bottles yesterday. First batch compared with a six pack was very close. Interesting to note that now the hops listed on their website for this beer are cascade and apollo not columbus and cascade.

I've been wanting to make a ginger peach beer and I think I'll base it off this recipe (since I can't tell the difference between apricot and peach extracts). My Q is how much ginger should I use and when should I add it?

I have this on tap right now.

9lbs 2-row
.5lb crystal 80
.5lb cara-pils 6row
total SRM=7 (a little darker than Magic hat)

.25 oz Magnum @60
.50 oz cascade @15
.50 oz amarillo @15
total IBU 21

60min @152 deg mash
mash eff. 76% SG 1.046
S-04 yeast @66deg FG 1.008 5%abv

I added 2oz of apricot extract @ kegging, and that was borderline to much! I used the LD Carlson extract, maybe it is stronger than what Tasty used, because 5oz per keg would turn this into a wine cooler! Even @ 2oz, it is more than just a hint of apricot. This beer was 2 weeks grain to glass (I need to start doing 10 gallons at a time so I'm not always out of beer). My first impresssion after force carbing was, "I guess I don't need to brew this again." Three days later, "Wow, I need to brew this again soon". The addition of the amarillo hops vs just cascade played well with the apricot.

Over-all, this shall we say #9 inspired brew is very good, my wife would like a little less crystal 80 in it next time, but everything else I think will remain the same.

P.S. the major thing that turned me off at first tasting was an almost cough syrup aftertaste that the extract caused. This subsided after 2-3 days or so, and now after a week and a half has become outstanding. This keg has a life expactancy of only about 3 more days.:D

I just brewed & finished a 5g batch of this with a few modifications :) Turned out great! I used only 2.2floz of apricot extract from brewcraft, and that was plenty. Much more and it would have been overpowering. I also added a pinch cascade at 10m and then kicked it up to 6.7abv! I followed their step mash schedule from the program, albeit a bit different that what I'm used to. I'll be brewing a second batch soon but will likely use only 10lb grain this time around to gauge the difference.

13lbs marris otter
4oz C80
60m 0.2oz Columbus/14.5AA
30m 0.5oz Cascade/7.6AA
10m 0.1oz Cascade/7.6AA
WLP002

Primary at 68F for 14 days... then in the chiller + apricot. The flavoring did need a few days to settle. I was taking this batch to an Oktoberfest so it sat for an additional 2w and came out very smooth!

Recipe is up here:
http://hopville.com/recipe/806963/fruit-beer-recipes/magic-hat-9-clone

Last couple go's on this one I used 11# 2 row, 1# caramel 40, 1/4 # cara pills for my grain bill, tuned out very good. I would think the cara pills could just be dropped, with the use of a full # of crystal 40.

I made another batch and upped the C80 to 1/2lb and reduced the marris otter to 11lb... nice base beer!

I used the other 1/2 bottle of extract that I had from the first batch... seemed fine by nose, but it imparted a very bitter flavor. I should have tested it out on a small amount first. Not sure if it oxidized or what, but I'm going to leave it sit for a while and hope it works it way out :( So... my warning is to test your flavoring extract before you add it, just in case.

Happy brewing, and don't bother cleaning the turkey fry pot before brewing, it just adds more flavor ;)

Anyone remember what they said about fermentation? I'm making an extract based clone, but want to try to follow their fermentation schedule, 68, but any ramp / diacetyl rest?
I'm sitting at 1014ish, and wondering if I should crank it up a bit to finish it out.
AO

Anyone remember what they said about fermentation? I'm making an extract based clone, but want to try to follow their fermentation schedule, 68, but any ramp / diacetyl rest?
I'm sitting at 1014ish, and wondering if I should crank it up a bit to finish it out.
AO

I can't recall what they said about fermentation, but if you're in the tail end of your ferment, go ahead and ramp it up a little bit to help keep the yeast active for a complete fermentation.

Instead of using extract, has anyone tried using an apricot Puree? I am ready to brew this, but generally like Puree's better than extracts. What do you think, and how much would you use? Maybe 3 lbs per 5.5 gallon batch?

You'll get some extra fermentation if you go right into the primary.. but between 3 and 5 would work. The intent of this beer is subtle apricot so I'd err on the light side. Best bet is to try a few different amounts in some small beer samples of a similar plain beer and scale to taste. All puree and extract well give different flavor amounts per dose...

I used 3# in my attempt of this last year in a 5 gal batch and there was just not enough flavor. I did not add any extract at bottling.

Instead of using extract, has anyone tried using an apricot Puree? I am ready to brew this, but generally like Puree's better than extracts. What do you think, and how much would you use? Maybe 3 lbs per 5.5 gallon batch?
I put 2 cans in my Farmhouse Saison and don't even notice it. It wouls take at least 2-3 times more...

Back