What is your favorite style of beer for "large volume sessions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garcia

Reaction score
What is your favorite beer style to just sit down and consume a substantial amount?

Definitely a session beer. Probably an English one. I would usually go towards an Ordinary Bitter or Mild. But a Scottish Shilling, or a Petite Saison, or Tafelbier, any other beer in the 3-3.8% ABV range and I'm good to go.

My favorite Thursday evening beer (I work Mon-Thurs, so that's my big drinking night), is Molson. Don't know why, I just love the stuff. I like my IPAs and porters, too, but Molson is just my perfect "unwinding after a week of babysitting a bunch of welders" beer.

A real Saison, pale ale or standard IPA.

Milk stout for me. Nothing over like 5.5% but I love those sweet milk stouts and can't get enough of them.

A lighter, crisper american pale ale (summit extra pale ale for example), British ordinary bitter, british dark mild.....

And, of course, there is always Milwaukee's Best Light if I am looking at a 20 beer day camping or something:)

Definitely a session beer. Probably an English one. I would usually go towards an Ordinary Bitter or Mild. But a Scottish Shilling, or a Petite Saison, or Tafelbier, any other beer in the 3-3.8% ABV range and I'm good to go.

Definitely. A cream/blonde ale - I made a bunch of variations on a SMASH last year. Some base malt to an OG of 1.040 with about 35ish IBU of Centennial at 60. The winner last year was definitely Golden Promise. The Golden Promise keg was gone in three weeks. Will try it again this summer with a whole new lineup, including Fawcett Optic.

I have a number of favorite session beers; cream ale, kolsh, pale ale, ESB and stout.

On a trip out to Moab where the Mormon beer laws are even crazier than Baptist beer laws :) and nothing on tap can be over 4% I really appreciated the effort the brewers have to put into their beer to make a low grav brew taste great with flavor & mouthfeel. I liked being able to have a couple of pints and still be able to drive back to the hotel. When I got home I started experimenting with my own session beers. I've made a cream ale for years but wanted something hoppier, so I brewed a 3.5% pale ale with locally grown and malted barley and locally grown hops and it is one of the best beers I've ever made! Simple and delicious, great body and mouthfeel, hoppy and laces the glass all the way down! I've also brewed a Bohemian pilsner that is still lagering.

As much as I love a big Belgian, Barleywine, or IIPA I also like a good session beer that I can drink a few of without knocking my d!ck in the dirt! Guinness is my commercial session favorite.

In an ideal world or the one day a year I splurge, lambic is my ideal session beer. Most of the time it's homebrew, 5% ABV or below saison, somtimes very hoppy.

Wow... Looks like I am the only strange one here that drinks a truckload of Blue Moon clone at a time...

...what? This isn't a session beer? I tried to turn it into one once...when I first tried it and didn't realize how strong it was until the 3rd pint at the bar :tank:

But in all honesty generally pale ales/IPAs. I have a soft spot in my heart too for just about any Great Lakes beer if it's on tap in a bar/restaurant, since Burning River and Christmas Ale were two of the first craft beers I had and loved. Again though, their beers are generally pretty high ABV for more than 2 in a sitting.

enjoy-by-1024x766.jpg

Lol no, not SNPA, I've definitely sessioned that one. Needed to have my pic be first in my post but I can't figure out how to not have it show up at the end of the post too. Nope, I was referring to Stone Enjoy By IPA.

Back