campden tabs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allgrainpa

Reaction score
I use a charcoal filter and was wondering is it "overkill" if i also use campden tabs. what about pH stabilizer, how does everyone feel about using this in conjunction with campden tabs and filter?

thanks for the input

I use a charcoal filter and was wondering is it "overkill" if i also use campden tabs. what about pH stabilizer, how does everyone feel about using this in conjunction with campden tabs and filter?

thanks for the input

A filter cannot remove chloramines, but campden tablets do AFAIK

Therefore, using a filter and campden in conjunction is good practice.

PH stabilizers are generally bunk. They don't do anything and/or make your beer salty.

A charcoal filter Can remove or reduce chloramine, but the flow rate must be insanely slow, and you must recirculate thru the filter. In practice it is extremely difficult for the home brewer to acheive this. Campden is SOOOO much easier, why try anything else. 1/2 tab for 10 gallons, just a little dab'll do ya.;)

I recently went to a .5 micron carbon filter for my water. I find that If I run it slowly and give it minute or two, the water tastes pretty good. I run it into another bucket then directly into my HLT. If I rush this, it tastes chalky. I'm thinking that might be the charcoal. The .5 micron will remove chlorine, but leave behind some good minerals. The key is to taste it and use the water only when 100% satisfied with the taste. I'm still dialing it in, but I've been very satisfied with the beer so far.

Back