Adding spice to wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiwi74

Reaction score
Silly question, and I think I might be answering my own question, but do you add the spices and your sweetener into the bottling bucket, and how long should you let it sit for? Do you need to put the spices in a grain sack or can you sprinkle it on the top an let it settle to the bottom? How would be the best way to spice up your wine?

The pumpkin pie mead I'm aging was done with the spices dumped in to the kettle as I heated the honey and water. Made the house smell like spices for a few days! You could tie whole spices up into a tiny fruit strainer bag if you want to be able to fish them out before racking. Otherwise the spices drop out with the rest of the lees.

Thanks, I should of planned ahead a little bit better. Do you know how long I should let my wine sit in the bottling bucket? Probably not long, eh?

yea the surface area in a bottling bucket is huge (at the surface) so it allows for a lot of oxygen diffusion if it sits too long.

Oh glad I saw this post! I just asked the same question basically. What about extracts? Are they fine to use? And do you use them in the primary? :)

The wine stays in the primary until most of the fermentation is done. At about 1.020 SG or so, it goes into a carboy. This is apparently a rule of thumb that my Texas persimmons didn't get the memo on, though, as I racked it and zip, boom, it started right up and fizzed up through the airlock. It's currently in time out in a primary again :). The moral of the story is that it's a good idea to check on the wine you've racked a few hours after putting it in its closet lest you have a sticky mess all over (no, mine didn't get to that point).

As for extracts....what kind are you thinking of using? Most anything you'd find in an extract can be added to a primary and the wine flavored that way.

Back