First Lager brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkymtn

Reaction score
I am trying my first lager brew. Pitched yeast at 52 degrees. 2 liter starter was at the same temp. (appeared helathy) First couple of days, slow bubbling. After that nothing. Krausen present. Should it stop bubbling? Did I not pitch enough yeast....

I know it is supposed to bubble less agressively, but appears to have totally stopped.

Thoughts?

I am trying my first lager brew. Pitched yeast at 52 degrees. 2 liter starter was at the same temp. (appeared helathy) First couple of days, slow bubbling. After that nothing. Krausen present. Should it stop bubbling? Did I not pitch enough yeast....

I know it is supposed to bubble less agressively, but appears to have totally stopped.

Thoughts?

If you didn't pitch enough, it would have taken a lot long before it started bubbling (I know from experience). If there's a krausen and bubbling, you did fine.

It's surprising that it might be done so quick, but maybe it is. Measure the gravity and check - that's the only way to know for sure.

Also, check to make sure your airlock is on tight - there might just be a leak. Bubbling is not an authoritative sign of fermentation.

Good point......Went back downstairs, checked the fridge. I can smell the yeast. It appears maybe the airlock is not as tight as it could be. I put a zip-tie around it, but I shouldn't smell the yeast in the fridge.....correct?

I have brewed two lagers now. I brewed them in buckets, and don't like to open them, so not sure about krausen. Anyway, I never saw any airlock activity with either of them. However, they both turned out fine.

Anyway, since you had bubbles at first, I wouldn't worry about it. You're sure the temp didn't drop radically or anything, right?

Yeast act at a way slower rate at lower temperatures. What you saw was normal and since it is a lager and requires a long fermentation time then I would not worry much. Just make sure it stays in primary for at least 3-4 weeks before transferring it for the actual lagering. Also, next time you brew I would start fermenting at mid to high 60s and after active signs of fermentation start then decrease the temp of the fermenter by one degree per hour until you are down to your target temperature. I did what you did once and had the same result and felt like an idiot. It took 5 days for active signs of fermentation to start and that was after pitching another vial of yeast in the fermentor.

ATXbrew said:
Yeast act at a way slower rate at lower temperatures. What you saw was normal and since it is a lager and requires a long fermentation time then I would not worry much. Just make sure it stays in primary for at least 3-4 weeks before transferring it for the actual lagering. Also, next time you brew I would start fermenting at mid to high 60s and after active signs of fermentation start then decrease the temp of the fermenter by one degree per hour until you are down to your target temperature. I did what you did once and had the same result and felt like an idiot. It took 5 days for active signs of fermentation to start and that was after pitching another vial of yeast in the fermentor.

The idea of pitching warm then cooling is controversial - there are a lot of people that don't agree with that, discussed in other threads. Pitching warm is a way to kick start fermentation when you under pitxh. The OP had no problems starting fermentation... I don't think pitching warm would have helped out at all...

Back