No-Glug Carboy Pour.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaver

Reaction score
Posting in the Wine forum first for feedback. Is this a known idea and I never heard about it...or what? But I thought it was a good solution.

So today I'm cleaning up a couple carboys and I generally fill them all the way to soak for a while. Trying to pour them out takes forever, and when the water glugs it splashes and is just a general pain. So I was thinking there has to be a better way... and remembering my bartender days with speedpours I grabbed my racking cane... stuck it in the carboy and started pouring. IT WORKED GREAT! The water came pouring out in a nice stream and the air traveled up the cane as needed. I wasn't sure if this was a known trick, or if no one really cares about standing there holding a gurgling carboy as it drains... but I wanted to share an easy way to drain water out of your carboys!

IMG_0994.jpg

Well yea... I think we all understand the science... the application is not always possible, or efficient. I wouldn't do this with a 2Liter of soda (such as when making a large punch we would just take a knife to puncture the bottom similar to 'shotgunning' a can of beer.)

What manner of sorcery!!!!????

;)

When I clean out my Belgian bottles or bombers, as I'm tipping them over, I swirl to create a vortex. The liquid shoots right out because the air goes through the middle. It's also good for rinsing because it really seems to carry the cleaner away.

Not that I would try it with a carboy. Yikes.

Nice trick!

That's pretty much how they empty whiskey barrels after aging. They have this little stainless steel thingy they put it the bung hole and the whiskey pours right out.

Back