Punk Rock and Hardcore

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is freakin awesome!!! I had no idea there were a bunch of old punks lurking this forum and I am discovering new bands I never heard of as well as rediscovering some great bands from my youth :rockin:

How in hell has no one mentioned the right Reverend Horton Heat???

I love the psychobilly stuff...the Cramps are still one of my favorite bands. Hard to get Bikini Girls with Machine Guns, All Women Are Bad, or Creature from the Black Leather Lagoon outta your head!!!

I usually brew to my punk playlist that is loaded with...
Iggy Pop, Stooges, Vandals, Ramones, Dead Kennedys, Black Flag, Misfits, Sex Pistols, X, Descendents, Exploited, Circle Jerks, Cramps, Fugazi, even some Beastie Boys is great old school punk, Suicidal Tendencies, Bad Brains, Bad Religion, The Clash, MDC, Subhumans, Agnostic Front, The Slits, Minor Threat, The Cro-Mags, the Buzzcocks
Pogues and Violent Femmes are on the softer side of punk but still great bands. And can't forget the Irish punk like Dropkick Murphys and Flogging Molly.

If you like DKM and Flogging Molly check out The Real McKenzies.

Don't know if it's old skool enough to qualify for this, but I'm a big fan of Rancid and Goldfinger...
My old band opened for Tim Armstrongs old band once down here. Ever hear of Operation Ivy?

The Goo Goo Dolls? Punk??? :drunk:
Uhm, yeah... You wear a T.S.O.L. Shirt on stage, that makes you punk, right?
:rolleyes

I only ever liked the Ramones, but too me they were not real punk, but then again not listening to any others it is hard to compare. To me they had the physical image of punk but there songs were actually more like Beatle songs in their composition.
That. Makes. No sense to me. :confused:

The Ramones were about as Anti-Beatles as anyone I could think of...

Bad Brains - in Chicago when they were touring for Quickness in 1989 or 1990.
I've seen the Brains a few times, but that Quickness tour was something! HR had about as much energy as I had ever seen them!!

does slayer count?
Funny, I was just thinking the other day on the whole progression from Punk/Metal into Thrash. I remember hearing Metallica the first time and thinking, Pshh! These guys are Dirtheads! Then I listened an was like, Oh crap! This is all new!! Then came bands like Megadeath, Slayer, Anthrax etc.

I know some will say there were other bands before them but, that's what started it for me. The acceptance of the "long-hairs" LOL!!

Do the Dead Milkmen count? I get the definitions fuzzy sometimes.
That's what's great about early punk. The music doesn't define it as much as the attitude. Look at some of the pioneers. DK, Ramones, Minutemen, Black Flag, GBH, The Germs.... None of these bands sound even remotely similar!

I got some, how about The Accused? (Splatter Rock!!!) or Excel (Split Image!!). Speaking of Venice, nobody's mentioned Suicidal Tendencies?

New Social Distortion album in January. Excited for this one. Social D is the one band I make sure I catch each time they come through.

New Screeching Weasel due out in March. Ben's been writing Weasel songs all along, and stashing them away.

The thing with Social Distortion (at least to me) is they only had one album where they brought it all together.

What I'm talking about is on their earlier releases the music was amazing but the lyrics were lackluster. Lyrics like "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, you won't see these kids in heaven" suck. On their later releases the lyrics are amazing, but the music is just boring. The one release they brought it all together was White Light, White Heat, White Trash.

I respect Social D and have seen them twice (1997 and whenever the tour with Matt Freeman was) but I don't listen to them too often.

New Screeching Weasel due out in March. Ben's been writing Weasel songs all along, and stashing them away.

After Television City Dream, they really fell off. I'd like to see them get back to the Boogada days, hopefully this new release will revert.

The one release they brought it all together was White Light, White Heat, White Trash.
I couldn't have said this better. People have been sucking off Ness but I never knew what the obsession was, then White Light came out. Wow...

I've always been partial to Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell. It's not a punk rock album, but it's an amazing rock album. The White Heat Album is good as well, but I always find myself going back to Somewhere...

Had to go see the Pixies a few months ago, I was surprised how good of a show they put on. Never got a chance to see them back in the day.

Please, let this album be better than Teen Punks In Heat. The only good thing about that one was the poster! And that solo album! Damn that was painful. The new Riverdales is good though.

Screeching Weasel was the best band to ever walk the ****ing earth!

Didn't see the Minutemen or Agent Orange mentioned.

Speaking of the Paladium, I saw the Ramones there several times. What a great venue. Always hit up Oki Dog after a show. Good times

Please, let this album be better than Teen Punks In Heat. The only good thing about that one was the poster! And that solo album! Damn that was painful. The new Riverdales is good though.

Screeching Weasel was the best band to ever walk the ****ing earth!

I actually enjoyed the solo album. Not sure why, but I did.

Didn't realize the Riverdales had a new one out. Thanks!

Didn't realize the Riverdales had a new one out. Thanks!

Well it was a surprise to me, I think its new. It's called Tarantula. And for the album art- a tarantula! Hopefully I didn't get you all excited for nothing.

Well it was a surprise to me, I think its new. It's called Tarantula. And for the album art- a tarantula! Hopefully I didn't get you all excited for nothing.

Considering the last RIverdales I listened to was the one with Fun Tonight on it from 1996 or so, I'll bet this'll be new to me.

lol

Here's a thread specifically designed for punk and hardcore. Discuss your favorite bands within these genres here. By punk I don't mean MxPx, Blink 182 or Good Charlotte. Let's keep it more along the lines of real punk/hardcore bands including, but not limited to The Ramones, The Clash, Sex Pistols, UK Subs, US Bombs, GBH, Pennywise, Good Riddance, Black Flag, Minor Threat, Comeback Kid, Have Heart, The Unseen, Casualties, Strife, Straight Faced, Avail, H2O, Cancer Bats, xLooking Forwardx, etc.

BTW, I searched the forum and found no thread of this kind. If I just missed it I apologize in advance.

When I moved my wife out of the UK we got to go through her ex's record collection which was in the attic. We junked a bunch of it, but I scored an original, barely played Nevermind the Bollocks, and an Alternative Ulster 78 by Stiff Little Fingers.

Which is awesome! If only I had a turntable to listen to them on.

When I moved my wife out of the UK we got to go through her ex's record collection which was in the attic. We junked a bunch of it, but I scored an original, barely played Nevermind the Bollocks, and an Alternative Ulster 78 by Stiff Little Fingers.

Which is awesome! If only I had a turntable to listen to them on.

That is most definitely awesome. You can get turntables at a pretty cost effective price.

Gotta mention RKL.

They were notorious down here for not showing up to their shows.

I think I went to at least 3 or for RKL shows before I finally got to see them along with Agnostic Front.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had to mention two of my favorite bands, Strung Out and Guns and Wankers!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/D3liCmuiPTY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/D3liCmuiPTY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aC1aCjWnu70?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aC1aCjWnu70?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/I4VCTn0h03Q?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/I4VCTn0h03Q?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/02TAWyd3DO8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/02TAWyd3DO8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3ZWaDq0CAqQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3ZWaDq0CAqQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Glad to see Subhumans and Exploited got mentioned a few pages back, used to listen to them constantly. There were other great English and European punk bands from the 80's era also:

English Dogs (Madd Punx, is a great album), Broken Bones, BGK (From Amsterdam), Chaos UK, and Motorhead.

Some homegrown favorites from back then:

Christ on Parade, The Cramps, Battalion of Saints, The Misfits, Minor Threat, Suicidal Tendencies, Corrosion of Conformity, The Vandals, DK, NOFX, and a lot of good SKA as well. Some many others I can't think of right now, good stuff.

Glad to see Subhumans and Exploited got mentioned a few pages back, used to listen to them constantly. There were other great English and European punk bands from the 80's era also:

English Dogs (Madd Punx, is a great album), Broken Bones, BGK (From Amsterdam), Chaos UK, and Motorhead.

Some homegrown favorites from back then:

Christ on Parade, The Cramps, Battalion of Saints, The Misfits, Minor Threat, Suicidal Tendencies, Corrosion of Conformity, The Vandals, DK, NOFX, and a lot of good SKA as well. Some many others I can't think of right now, good stuff.

WAY more my style...strung out is about as punk rock as green day :D

ALL MUST BOW TO LEMMY :rockin:

Can't believe I forgot MOtorhead in my list!!!

I've been into this German band a lot lately. They're called ZSK and they do songs in both English and German.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's wong with Chaos UK? :) I went to school in the mid-80's and my cousin was really into punk, he turned me on to a lot of great bands. Even now English Dogs, Minor Threat, Christ on Parade, and misfits are some of my favorite bands, among others. I still love old, hard, dirty punk.....and of course homebrew =)

Ha, this thread reminds me of a batch I brewed a couple years ago when I first started brewing. Me and a couple buddies had tickets for a certain local semnial hardcore/punk-rock band and I wanted the homebrews for pre-drinks.

This was back when 2-4 days in the primary, a week in the secondary and a week in the bottle were standard for me, so the beer was ready just in time for the show (less a couple days in he bottle). It was a little green (as was I as a brewer) but nobody really cared and we all enjoyed the show (probably, my concert reviews tend to be a little fuzzy).

What was this beer, you ask ? Why, it was my D.O.Ale (and no, I haven't made a ****head Stout or Rampage Lager but it is a thought).

Back