So I bought this pot...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b33risGOOD

Reaction score
Today while shopping I found a SS 16qt-18L Stock pot made from 555 stainless steel at Home Hardware.

It was on sale from 30$ to 10$, ive been looking for a small pot for specialty grains and small indoor 5gl batches. This pot is really really light, will I be ok using this?

Ive heard about scorching? and is this pot big enough to do 4gl boils? Or am I pushing it?

Thanks for all feedback.

Well its a 4 gallon pot so I think a 4 gallon boil is asking for problems. You only need about 2 1/2 or 3 gallons to boil for a 5 gallon batch, so the pot is fine, just don't fill it to full

It won't do a full 4 gal boil since you need space above the wort for the active boil but I've been using my cheap ($4) stock pots over four years and the only problem is the oldest one had the curl over or lip develope a small crack so it's out of service for safety reasons. Scorching has not been a problem either.

It will not be big enough for a 4 gallon boil as 16qt = 4gal. Not enough head room to prevent a boil over.

Many stainless pots are quite light, especially the inexpensive ones. As long as you take it off the flame when adding LME or any thick liquid, and keep the liquid stired until the LME it is completely disolved, I don't think scorching will be a big problem, though it can happen with any pot.

Does a 3 gallon boil seem reasonable and I guess I top it up in the fermentor?

thanks guys

Even if you start making beer outside on propane, doing full boils, 4gal is plenty of water for a sparge (either partial-mash or all-grain). Good buy!

Back