Yeast from Flying Dog

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rOland

Reaction score
I'm soon to brew a Blackberry American Wheat Ale (nice drinking for spring I assume) and as I love Flying Dog's Wheat in Heat Ale I figured I'd use their some of their yeast.

That part's going fine, the two cultures are bubbling nicely and I'm soon to move them to the fridge to save for later in the week. My question begins with me typing "bottle conditioning" into wikipedia out of curiosity and I came across this line:

"Some beers, however, use a different strain of yeast for bottling, which in effect contaminates the primary yeast that gives the beer its character."

I'm sure this isn't really a problem with an established & quality brewery like Flying Dog, but i was wondering if anyone else has cultured their wheat in heat yeast for a beer? How did it turn out?

Well, I know that some German breweries use a lager strain to bottle condition their hefeweizens. I'm not sure what Flying Dog uses. You might be sorely disappointed if they do the same. I think if you really want to use a Bavarian style yeast, you would be safer to just order some Wyeast or WL strain.

Drunk Monkey said:
I was going to suggest that too, but that yeast won't work for a wheat beer.

Oops, Didn't notice the wheat part. So what would happen if you do use it with wheat malt? Should still ferment, no?

Back